What Are the Best Academic Journals for Aspiring Planetary Scientists?

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate Physics major seeking a professional source of planetary news for grad school. Suggestions include Phys.org, Astro-ph page on the ArXiv, and various peer-reviewed scientific journals such as MNRAS, A&A, and Nature Astronomy.
astrogato96
Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate Physics major looking to jump into Planetary. Through either a reasonably priced subscription, or free, and in paper or online, what would you suggest as a journal or professional level news aggregate for me to get the latest updates and literature in planetary science?

I'm essentially looking for some source of planetary news that is a little more professional/academic than popular science news outlets to follow, so I have things to write and think about for grad school.

For Space!
~ Jared

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Should find out what journal your faculty advisor publishes in.

Likes jedishrfu
Have had a busy time since that week in January.

I've made phys.org my homepage, and really like the 2nd idea. Thanks!

Try scrolling through the astro-ph page on the ArXiv every day. Even if you just read the titles and abstracts, you will get a feeling for what people are working on and what progress is being made. If there is a really interesting paper, you can dig into it in more detail.

1. What is the purpose of the Upper Level Planetary Journal?

The purpose of the Upper Level Planetary Journal is to publish high-quality, original research articles and reviews related to all aspects of planetary science and exploration. This includes but is not limited to studies on planetary geology, astrobiology, planetary atmospheres, and planetary missions.

2. How is the Upper Level Planetary Journal different from other scientific journals?

The Upper Level Planetary Journal is a specialized journal solely focused on planetary science and exploration. Unlike other scientific journals that cover a wide range of topics, our journal exclusively publishes research related to planets, moons, and other bodies in our solar system and beyond. Additionally, our rigorous peer-review process ensures that only the highest quality and most impactful research is published in our journal.

3. Who can submit articles to the Upper Level Planetary Journal?

We welcome submissions from all scientists, researchers, and academics conducting original research in the field of planetary science and exploration. Submissions from early career researchers and students are particularly encouraged. However, all submissions must meet our high standards of scientific rigor and relevance to the field.

4. Is the Upper Level Planetary Journal open access?

Yes, the Upper Level Planetary Journal is an open access journal. This means that all published articles are freely available to read, download, and share without any subscription or paywall barriers. We believe in making scientific research accessible to everyone, which is why we have chosen the open access model for our journal.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest research published in the Upper Level Planetary Journal?

You can stay updated by subscribing to our journal's email alerts, following us on social media, or regularly visiting our website. Additionally, you can sign up to be a reviewer for our journal and receive early access to newly published articles. We also encourage you to attend conferences and workshops related to planetary science to stay informed about the latest research in the field.