UPS power must be higher than PSU rated power?

• Thread starter user079622
  • Start date
user079622
Is PSU marked power, output power?
If PSU has marked 1000W that mean it drain /input power is higher than 1000W so UPS must be higher than 1000W(PSU rated power)?
How much higher UPS power must be, assumption is that ups drive only computer and monitor(maybe only 20W)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The PSU may be able to source 1000 watt, but the load may only be drawing a maximum of 500 watt.
The UPS would need to be rated something like 20% more than is needed, about 600 watt to support that 500 watt load on the PSU.

user079622 said:
The datasheet should show both input requirements and output capability.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
The PSU may be able to source 1000 watt, but the load may only be drawing a maximum of 500 watt.
The UPS would need to be rated something like 20% more than is needed, about 600 watt to support that 500 watt load on the PSU.
More than is needed or rated?
If psu has rated 1000w, ups must be 1200w?

user079622 said:
More than is needed or rated?
More than is going to be needed.

user079622 said:
If PSU has marked 1000W that mean it drain /input power is higher than 1000W so UPS must be higher than 1000W(PSU rated power)?
It's advisable to measure the peak consumption of the set before selecting an UPS.

For example I have a rig with a 600W PSU (recommended due the VGA card).
It eats up around 60W average/idle (with monitor).
The peak is around 150W.

In theory I could do with a 300W UPS (with ~ a dozen minutes of uptime, worst case) but since I wanted long battery time (even at the end of the battery lifetime) I bought a 900W one - that was the type with the biggest single battery I could fetch.

Baluncore said:
More than is going to be needed.
@berkeman

At psu write max total output is 1450W.
That mean it can drian 20% higer then that.

user079622 said:
At psu write max total output is 1450W.
And what voltage and current are listed at the power cord input to the UPS?

Likes DaveE
berkeman said:
And what voltage and current are listed at the power cord input to the UPS?
I dont know.
Why do you need power input of UPS?

user079622 said:
I dont know.
Just look where the power cord goes into the UPS...

user079622 said:
Why do you need power input of UPS?
I guess I don't at the start of this thread, you were asking whether the "power" of a UPS was its input or output power.

berkeman said:
Just look where the power cord goes into the UPS...I guess I don't at the start of this thread, you were asking whether the "power" of a UPS was its input or output power.
I dont have UPS and I didnt ask that.
I ask for PSU power..

user079622 said:
How much higher UPS power must be, assumption is that ups drive only computer and monitor(maybe only 20W)?
Okay, I guess I misinterpreted your OP. Nevermind.

1. Why must the UPS power be higher than the PSU rated power?

The UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) must have a higher power rating than the PSU (Power Supply Unit) to ensure it can handle the maximum power load of the PSU without overloading. This is crucial for maintaining stability and preventing power interruptions or damage to the UPS and connected devices during power outages or fluctuations.

2. What happens if the UPS power is not higher than the PSU rated power?

If the UPS power is not higher than the PSU rated power, the UPS may become overloaded when it tries to supply power during an outage. This can lead to the UPS failing to provide power, shutting down unexpectedly, or even damaging both the UPS and the connected equipment due to the excessive load.

3. How do I calculate the appropriate UPS power for my PSU?

To calculate the appropriate UPS power for your PSU, first determine the total wattage requirement of your system by adding up the wattage of all components. The UPS should have a wattage rating that is 20-25% higher than this total to accommodate power spikes and ensure efficient operation. Additionally, consider the power factor and VA (volt-ampere) rating of the UPS to ensure compatibility.

4. Can a UPS with significantly higher power than the PSU cause any issues?

Using a UPS with significantly higher power than the PSU generally does not cause issues; it simply provides more headroom for additional devices or future upgrades. However, it can be less cost-effective and may result in lower efficiency if the UPS is underloaded. It's best to choose a UPS that closely matches your current and anticipated future needs.

5. Is there a difference in UPS requirements for different types of PSUs?

Yes, different types of PSUs, such as standard ATX power supplies and those with high-efficiency ratings or different power factors, may affect the type of UPS required. For instance, PSUs with active PFC (Power Factor Correction) typically need a pure sine wave UPS to handle the more sensitive power requirements and ensure smooth operation during power transitions.