Upside down Cup with water to hold the plate

In summary, during high school, it was believed that atmospheric pressure was solely responsible for keeping a playing card and glass of water in place when turned upside down. However, it was discovered that surface tension also plays a role in creating a tight seal between the card and glass, while the flexibility of the card allows for the creation of suction to keep the water from leaking out. It is not the low density of the air, but rather its compressibility that can affect the success of this trick.
Ravi Singh choudhary
During high school; I thought atmospheric pressure is so strong that plate will remain intact to the glass full of water when made upside down. But when we decrease the density of the fluid to the air; this phenomenon wont' work. That means atmospheric pressure is not only playing role in this. I doubt about surface tension.
Am I missing some other physical phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you are talking about a glass of water turned upside down with a playing card over the bottom. The card and water hold position in seeming defiance to gravity.

You suspect that it has something to do with the density of the fluid -- water in this case. No. That is not it. Surface tension plays a role. It ensures that the seal between card and glass is tight so that air cannot slowly leak in. Atmospheric pressure plays a role. It provides the upward force required to keep the water and card in place. There is another effect that I have always used when performing this trick -- the flexibility of the card.

When you perform this trick you start with the glass upright, fill it to the brim and put the playing card over the top. It is important that the glass be completely full. First, so that the card/glass surface is wetted. Second, so that there will be little or no air in the glass when it is inverted. Hold the card in place with an even pressure so that a seal is maintained and invert the glass. Before you release your hand, press firmly in the center of the card so that a little water is squeezed out from the sides. This creates a bit of suction. The water at the bottom of the glass is under slightly less than atmospheric pressure. The difference is enough to support the card and maintain the seal with the glass. In effect, you have turned the playing card into a suction cup.

If you allow too much air to remain in the glass, that air can expand and make it difficult or impossible to achieve the required suction. It is not the low density of the air that is the problem. It is the fact that it is compressible.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
Great explanation. I owe you 100 more likes

1. How does the upside down cup with water hold the plate?

The water creates a vacuum seal between the cup and the plate, creating a strong adhesion that holds the plate in place.

2. Why does the cup need to be upside down?

The upside down position allows the water to create a seal between the cup and plate, preventing the plate from sliding off.

3. Can I use any type of cup and plate for this experiment?

As long as the cup and plate have smooth surfaces, this experiment should work. However, it may not be as effective with textured or porous surfaces.

4. How much water should be in the cup?

The amount of water needed depends on the size of the cup and plate. Generally, you want enough water to cover the bottom of the cup, but not so much that it overflows when the plate is placed on top.

5. What is the science behind this experiment?

The vacuum seal created by the water is an example of atmospheric pressure. The air pressure inside the cup is lower than the air pressure outside, causing the cup and plate to stick together. This is also known as the principle of suction.