US Air Force Developing Space Weapons: A Global Arms Race?

In summary, GWB has given the green light to the US Air Force to develop space weapons, sparking concerns about an arms race. Other countries, such as Russia and China, are also seen as potential threats. The decision to invest in space warfare technology has sparked debate, with some questioning the allocation of funds and resources. However, it is argued that not taking the lead in this area could leave the US vulnerable to other nations who are also advancing their space capabilities.
chound
It seems GWB has given green signal to US Air Force to develop space weapons. Is it really true and is it going to trigger an arms race. What are the other countries doing? I don't think UN would be of much help! :rofl:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I never thought Osama bin Laden had the wits to hide in the Kuiper Belt.
Go get him, US!

I think it is one of the most sensible decisions of the Bush administration. Osama is not the only enemy of the US. I would contend that Russia and particularly China are still pose a substantial threat.

chound said:
It seems GWB has given green signal to US Air Force to develop space weapons. Is it really true and is it going to trigger an arms race. What are the other countries doing? I don't think UN would be of much help! :rofl:
How about a link?

Thanks.
Looks interesting, and a little expensive. I guess it would still be a lot cheaper to use the US's existing air bases to launch conventional attacks.
I did not see anything about the green light chound mentioned.

Show me the Money

Show me the money and tell me where it is coming from. Why are we spending money on this, if we are planning on closing down Military Bases in the North East to save money? Why are we wasting money on research, while other government programs are being cut? Why are we going into debt on this project, while we can't even expand the military school for the Special forces? Why are we wasting money having grandfathers drive mine ridden roads in Iraq, when we can't train more Special Forces to drive the trucks, because we are spending money on this space program that may not even work the way we want them to. Remember computers only do what we tell them to do. Not what we want them to do.

Yonoz said:
How about a link?

The link is impossible to provide as no such approval has been given. The decision will be made soon and hopefully will be one of approval.

It is always incumbent upon the military to research means of defending the nation.

This is an audio file also see Http://www.kjonline[/URL] for stories during the past week.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.mpbn.net/radio/ondemand/mainethings.html

This was posted last Thursday on the 25th of may and will be taken down next thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also research aticles in Boston area newspapers online and the Middlesex news when the Natick soliders system research lab was on that closure list before it was taken off.

After World War I, there was a similar debate. The difference was that the post-WWI debate was about the proper role of airpower and this debate is about the proper role of space power. Denying the development of space warfare technology would be the equivalent of court-martialing Billy Mitchell. One of the things that landed Mitchell in hot water was his contention that naval power was obsolete - something he tried to show during his demonstrations of aerial bombardment of naval ships over 15 years before the Japanese gave us a more convincing demonstration of the impact of air power. Not taking the lead in space, in all of its aspects, doesn't prevent technology and tactics from developing - it just concedes the lead to someone else.

1. What are the potential benefits of the US Air Force developing space weapons?

The potential benefits of the US Air Force developing space weapons include increased military capabilities, deterrence of potential adversaries, and protection of national security interests. These weapons could also potentially be used for defensive purposes, such as protecting against incoming missile threats.

2. What are the potential risks or concerns associated with the development of space weapons?

Some potential risks or concerns associated with the development of space weapons include the escalation of a global arms race, the possibility of accidental or unauthorized use, and the creation of debris in space which could pose a threat to other satellites and spacecraft.

3. How does the development of space weapons align with international laws and treaties?

The development of space weapons is a controversial topic and is currently not explicitly prohibited by international laws and treaties. However, the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 does state that weapons of mass destruction should not be placed in orbit or on celestial bodies. There is ongoing debate about whether space weapons fall under this category.

4. How will the US Air Force ensure responsible and ethical use of space weapons?

The US Air Force has a strict code of ethics and rules of engagement for all military operations, including the use of space weapons. Additionally, there are international efforts to establish guidelines and norms for responsible behavior in space, such as the European Union Code of Conduct for Outer Space Activities.

5. How might the development of space weapons impact international relations and diplomacy?

The development of space weapons could potentially strain international relations and create tensions between countries. It could also lead to an arms race and increase distrust among nations. On the other hand, some argue that the development of space weapons could actually promote stability and deterrence, potentially leading to more peaceful relations between nations.