US departments active in Solar physics?

In summary, the person is looking to add another school to their list of grad school applications in the field of Solar physics. They have already applied to Montana and Stanford, and are interested in any other universities with ties to facilities like NSO or Lockheed LMSAL. They are considering NMSU or NJIT, but would like to know of more departments. They are limiting their applications to 15 for financial reasons, and have noticed that there are more schools in this field in Europe. They mention University of Michigan, UCLA, UCSD, and CU Boulder as potential options.
Lavabug
I am looking to add another school to my list of grad school applications that is active in Solar physics. Gradschoolshopper has only revealed a total of 6 schools in this field, only 2 of which I know actually have established groups in the field (Montana (already applied) and Stanford). Can be instrumental, observational or theory/computation.

Any universities with close ties to facilities like NSO or Lockheed LMSAL for instance, besides Stanford? (I don't stand a chance there)

Thinking seriously of NMSU or NJIT, much more keen on the first, but I'd like to know of more departments that may have escaped me in my search to make a more informed decision. I'd like to apply to just one more school, for financial considerations (totaling 15 applications in a spread of fields and rankings).

It seems like there's an order of magnitude more schools in this field in the old continent, but offers for studentships aren't advertised until Feb./Mar. afaik. Also not counting on it, since most require a MS, which I have no way of paying for myself.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the main goal of the US departments active in Solar physics?

The main goal of the US departments active in Solar physics is to study the Sun and its effects on Earth and the solar system. This includes understanding solar activity, space weather, and how the Sun influences our climate and technology.

2. How many US departments are actively involved in Solar physics research?

There are three main US departments actively involved in Solar physics research: the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Science Foundation (NSF). Each department has multiple programs and missions dedicated to studying the Sun.

3. What types of research do these departments conduct in Solar physics?

The US departments active in Solar physics conduct a wide range of research, including space-based observations, ground-based observations, theoretical modeling, and data analysis. They also collaborate with international partners to further our understanding of the Sun.

4. How does Solar physics research benefit society?

Solar physics research has many practical applications that benefit society. It helps us understand and predict space weather, which can impact satellite communications, power grids, and astronauts in space. It also provides insight into climate change and helps us develop renewable energy technologies.

5. How can the general public get involved in Solar physics research?

There are several ways for the general public to get involved in Solar physics research. NASA and other agencies often have citizen science projects where individuals can help analyze data or make observations. There are also opportunities to volunteer at observatories or attend public events and lectures hosted by researchers. Additionally, staying informed and supporting funding for solar research can also contribute to the advancement of this field.