String Theory, which is stronger, Caltech or Stanford?

In summary, the speaker is an international student from China who has received offers for a PhD position from both Caltech and Stanford in the field of high energy theory. While both schools are highly reputable in physics, Stanford has more professors in this specific area compared to Caltech. However, Caltech's faculty focuses more on the mathematical aspects of the field. The speaker is struggling to decide between the two schools due to this difference in focus. Both schools have offered financial support, with Stanford offering a higher salary but the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay area needs to be taken into consideration.
LiXinghe
Hello everyone. I am an international student from China. Currently I received offers of a PhD position from both Caltech and Stanford. I applied for Hep-th and my main interests are formal field theories and string theory.

I know both Caltech and Stanford are great schools in physics. And it seems that Stanford has more professors in high energy theory than Caltech. However when I look more carefully, most of the professors at Stanford focus on phenomenology. And Caltech faculties (like S.Gukov, A.Kapustin) focus more on the mathematical aspects. Then it's hard for me to decide which graduate school to go.

BTW: Stanford offers me TA+RA position with salary 36K. Caltech offers me a fellowship of 32K. But financial reasons aren't important, are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
LiXinghe said:
Stanford offers me TA+RA position with salary 36K. Caltech offers me a fellowship of 32K.

You need to take the cost of living into account. The San Francisco Bay area (Stanford) is notoriously very expensive. The area near Caltech (Pasadena / Los Angeles) is still expensive, but maybe somewhat less so.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing elementary particles as one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How does String Theory relate to the strength of Caltech and Stanford?

String Theory does not have any direct relation to the strength of universities such as Caltech and Stanford. Both institutions have strong physics departments that conduct research and teach courses on various topics, including String Theory.

3. Is String Theory a proven concept?

No, String Theory is still a highly debated and speculative theory in the scientific community. While it has a strong mathematical framework, there is currently no experimental evidence to support its claims.

4. Which university has more research and expertise in String Theory?

Both Caltech and Stanford have renowned physicists and researchers who have made significant contributions to the field of String Theory. It is difficult to determine which institution has more expertise in this specific area as it is a collaborative effort among many scientists.

5. Are there any practical applications of String Theory?

At this time, there are no known practical applications of String Theory. However, the study of this theory has led to advancements in mathematics and theoretical physics, which could potentially have practical applications in the future.