Use 3D laser scanning to map Outer Space?

In summary, Mobile, airborne, and terrestrial 3D laser scanning provides a large amount of data to companies, organizations, and governments. The use of 3D laser scanners in astronomy, astrophysics, and astrocartography has not been explored, but it could potentially be a useful method for obtaining precise topographical information for celestial bodies. However, due to the dispersal of laser light over long distances, it may not be feasible for objects that are too far away. Additionally, the amount of power and signal strength from distant objects would be very low, making it difficult to obtain accurate data. Overall, while 3D laser scanning may have potential in space exploration, it may not be the most practical method for obtaining data on distant
Kelson Adams
Mobile, airborne, and terrestrial 3D laser scanning gives an unprecedented amount of data to companies, organizations, and governments.

However, I am wondering whether or not 3D laser scanners have ever been used in astronomy, astrophysics, and in astrocartography... If they haven't, I believe it could be an interesting method to obtain precise topographical information for celestial bodies.

Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Even a laser will disperse over extremely long distances.

Kelson Adams said:
Mobile, airborne, and terrestrial 3D laser scanning gives an unprecedented amount of data to companies, organizations, and governments.

However, I am wondering whether or not 3D laser scanners have ever been used in astronomy, astrophysics, and in astrocartography... If they haven't, I believe it could be an interesting method to obtain precise topographical information for celestial bodies.

Any thoughts?
You do realize that a laser still travels at the speed of light, don't you? Even if it were possible to map a distant object with lasers, it would still take many years to get the data back here on earth. If an object is 10 light-years away, it would take 10 years for the laser to get there from Earth and 10 years to get back.

Borg said:
Even a laser will disperse over extremely long distances.

True. However, I don't believe that the margin of error would be great enough to neglect all the data that would be collected.

I can imagine that 3D laser scanning would be optimal for automatic feature and object extraction for satellites that are orbiting various celestial bodies or even for rovers.

SteamKing said:
You do realize that a laser still travels at the speed of light, don't you? Even if it were possible to map a distant object with lasers, it would still take many years to get the data back here on earth. If an object is 10 light-years away, it would take 10 years for the laser to get there from Earth and 10 years to get back.
I did take that into consideration. But I still don't see why it couldn't be used on satellites that are relatively nearby celestial bodies within our own solar system.

Also, I am not sure of the margin of error you would get if you had to wait 20 years for the light to return to the 3D scanning apparatus -- but assuming that you could potentially look at features on distant celestial bodies in detail, 20 years may be well worth the wait!

Kelson Adams said:
I did take that into consideration. But I still don't see why it couldn't be used on satellites that are relatively nearby celestial bodies within our own solar system.

Also, I am not sure of the margin of error you would get if you had to wait 20 years for the light to return to the 3D scanning apparatus -- but assuming that you could potentially look at features on distant celestial bodies in detail, 20 years may be well worth the wait!
If you got anything back at all, it would probably be just noise. Even inside the solar system, the amount of power from returning radio signals sent by space probes is a decimal point followed by many zeroes, thus each signal requires a great deal of amplification in order to be detected.

SteamKing said:
If you got anything back at all, it would probably be just noise. Even inside the solar system, the amount of power from returning radio signals sent by space probes is a decimal point followed by many zeroes, thus each signal requires a great deal of amplification in order to be detected.
During the Cassini mission they used multiple radio telescopes on Earth to listen to and to track the 10-watt signal from Hugyens directly, despite it being 750 million miles away. http://www.nrao.edu/pr/2004/huygens/

Perhaps you could use the same method (involving multiple 3D laser scanners scattered across the globe pointed at a particular celestial object) to acquire more accurate 3D laser scanning datasets for celestial objects, no?

The signal from those objects isn't going to be anywhere near the 10 watts that Hugyens is putting out. What little bit of laser light reaches the objects will also be scattered.

3-D laser...I suppose you mean using laser light to illuminate the rotating surface of some solar system body (without a significantly absorbing atmosphere). First thing that occurs has already been said, that even a laser beam (any beam) disperses. And of course the scattering from any surface will be a small fraction of the incident light (which will be a small fraction of the initial light). And of course the scattering back towards the source will be a miniscule fraction, and then it will continue to disperse... Too bad there's not some huge (thermonuclear) light source in the Solar System we could use instead...

Likes Borg
ogg said:
3-D laser...I suppose you mean using laser light to illuminate the rotating surface of some solar system body (without a significantly absorbing atmosphere). First thing that occurs has already been said, that even a laser beam (any beam) disperses. And of course the scattering from any surface will be a small fraction of the incident light (which will be a small fraction of the initial light). And of course the scattering back towards the source will be a miniscule fraction, and then it will continue to disperse... Too bad there's not some huge (thermonuclear) light source in the Solar System we could use instead...
That's a good point. All of the light which reaches us from distant stars is but a minuscule fraction of what the individual star puts out at the source, and this small fraction is what we see twinkling in the sky at night. The brightness of any non-stellar light source, like a laser beam from a distant star system, will be orders of magnitude lower than that of the star or stars in the system.

1. What is 3D laser scanning?

3D laser scanning is a technology that uses a laser beam to capture the shape, size, and location of objects in three-dimensional space. It works by emitting a laser onto an object or surface and measuring the distance and angles of the reflected light to create a digital representation of the object.

2. How does 3D laser scanning help map Outer Space?

3D laser scanning is used in space mapping to collect accurate and detailed data of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and asteroids. It allows scientists to create 3D models of these objects and their surfaces, which can help us better understand their composition and structure.

3. What are the advantages of using 3D laser scanning for space mapping?

3D laser scanning provides several advantages for space mapping, including its ability to capture highly detailed and accurate data, its non-intrusive nature, and its ability to collect data from a distance. It also allows for the creation of 3D models that can be easily analyzed and compared to previous data for changes or movements in space.

4. How does 3D laser scanning differ from traditional methods of space mapping?

Traditional methods of space mapping, such as using telescopes or satellites, rely on capturing images or data from a distance. 3D laser scanning, on the other hand, allows for the collection of highly detailed and accurate data from a closer range. It also provides a more comprehensive view of an object's shape, size, and location compared to 2D images or data.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D laser scanning for space mapping?

While 3D laser scanning has many benefits, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it requires direct line-of-sight between the scanner and the object being mapped. This can be challenging in space as objects may be moving or obstructed by other celestial bodies. Additionally, the equipment and technology needed for 3D laser scanning can be expensive and may not be feasible for all space mapping projects.