use a simulator to produce a resonance curve for the circuit between 800 Hz
and 4.5 kHz.
Relevant Equations
i would convert the given numbers so they can be used in a sim,
so
impedance Z = R + j (lL - Xc)
Xl = 2pifL
Xc = 1/ 2pifC1

Then i think you would need to convert Xl and Xc into L and C using the formulas
L = Xl/ 2pif

C = -1 /2pifXc
my issue here is what would i put in for frequency ? unless i use the formula to find the resonance frequency
i have only used multisim live and you cant put in Vs 10 +j20

Physics news on Phys.org
leejohnson222 said:
my issue here is what would i put in for frequency ? unless i use the formula to find the resonance frequency
i have only used multisim live and you cant put in Vs 10 +j20
You could pick an arbitrary frequency between the given values, such as the midpoint, 2650 Hz. Then solve for the components from there. You weren't given a specific value of frequency, only a range that (presumably) the resonance would occur in.

As for the voltage source, ##V_s##, that specifies a magnitude and angle (not the frequency!)
So find the magnitude and angle from the given value. You should be able to specify the magnitude and angle in the source voltage in multisim?

ok makes sense to pick the mid point of the frequency for the formulas as this is what the questions wants me to look at. I think the imedance of the circuit is (100 + j100) and i think Current = (0.149 + j0.049)a
so V = I x Z ?

leejohnson222 said:
ok makes sense to pick the mid point of the frequency for the formulas as this is what the questions wants me to look at. I think the imedance of the circuit is (100 + j100) and i think Current = (0.149 + j0.049)a
so V = I x Z ?
You've already got the voltage, no? The current is just ##I = V_s/Z##.

i have the given Voltage but i can see how i can enter that form into multism, it wants voltage and freq
unless im missing some options, i need to do the maths to work out the L and C then draw up the circuit in the sim

leejohnson222 said:
i have the given Voltage but i can see how i can enter that form into multism, it wants voltage and freq
unless im missing some options, i need to do the maths to work out the L and C then draw up the circuit in the sim
In LTSPICE the voltage source gives you the option of SINE and you can specify the AC voltage and Frequency, as well as a value for Phi, the angular offset.
1696967834878.png

I don't know what Multisim gives (I don't have it installed, or signed up for the online version). But surely there must be some option for specifying the angle of the source? If you can do a screenshot of the options for the source voltage, maybe we can take a look?

Edit: Changed Theta to Phi.

LT spice sounds like a good option, i can not get it to install on my mac

Vs magnatude is this the formula ? Sq root (102 + 202) i think i am getting myself mixed up, multism wont allow me to not enter a frequency for voltage, not sure what to use for that

i think i have made an error here as the question says L = +300 ohms C = -j200ohms
so they are not Xl and Xc

Last edited:
leejohnson222 said:
Vs magnatude is this the formula ? Sq root (102 + 202) i think i am getting myself mixed up, multism wont allow me to not enter a frequency for voltage, not sure what to use for that
For a Bode plot (sweeping through multiple frequencies) you'll want to specify the voltage and frequencies in a different way. There should be some entries equivalent to LTSPICE's 'Small signal AC analysis' in the setup for the voltage source, probably shown as magnitude and phase?

For the bode plot you'll have to work out how Multisim does that. Probably some setting for AC Analysis, as opposed to Transient Analysis. You'll specify the frequency range there I think.
leejohnson222 said:
i think i have made an error here as the question says L = +300 ohms C = -j200ohms
so they are not Xl and Xc
I think that those are impedances (Z), and there's a typo for the inductance: Should be L = +j300 ohms. Inductances have +j impedances and capacitance have -j impedances. They really shouldn't have used L and C for those values, as those symbols represent the real values of inductance and capacitance (henries and farads), not their impedances.

Likes leejohnson222
yes this is where i am getting mixed up as the circuit says L and C but no units for L or C, so as you say they may be impedance rather than henries or farads.
I will get spice running on my computer and see how i get on, thank you

Something is missing from this puzzle, lost in translation.
Is there a link somewhere to the original question or challenge ?

yes here,
use a simulation and produce a resonance curve for the circuit between 800h and 4.5 kHz.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.02.38.png

1. What is the purpose of using a simulator to produce a resonance curve for an RLC circuit?

The purpose of using a simulator is to create a visual representation of the resonance curve for the RLC circuit. This allows scientists to better understand the behavior of the circuit and make predictions about its performance.

2. What is an RLC circuit and how does it work?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components work together to create a resonance effect, where the circuit can store and release energy at a specific frequency.

3. How does a simulator produce a resonance curve for an RLC circuit?

A simulator uses mathematical equations to model the behavior of the RLC circuit. By inputting different values for the resistance, inductance, and capacitance, the simulator can generate a resonance curve that shows the relationship between frequency and voltage.

4. What factors can affect the shape of the resonance curve for an RLC circuit?

The shape of the resonance curve can be affected by the values of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance in the circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and interference can also impact the curve.

5. How is the resonance frequency determined from the resonance curve?

The resonance frequency is the frequency at which the voltage across the circuit is at its maximum. This can be determined by finding the peak on the resonance curve. The width of the curve at this peak is also important, as it indicates the bandwidth of the circuit.