Use node-voltage method to find current?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the node-voltage method to find current in a circuit. The equations and steps for solving the problem are provided, with a final answer of Ia = 2A, Ib = 4A, and Ic = 1A. The power associated with each source is also calculated, with a total of 100W being supplied from the 50V source and 120W being supplied from the 3A source.
Color_of_Cyan
use "node-voltage" method to find current?

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img213/8582/homeworktest2prob1.jpg

a. Use the node-voltage method of circuit analysis to find the branch currents Ia, Ib, and Ic in the circuit

b. Find power associated with each source and state whether the source is delivering or absorbing power.

Homework Equations

V = IR

Nodal analysis ?

P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume it means nodal analysis, so:

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/8576/homeworktest2prob1edit.jpg

my equations starting are:

(Va - Vb)/5Ω = Ia

Vb/10Ω = Ib

Vc/40Ω = Ic

3A + Ia = Ib + Ic

Va = 50V and Vb = Vc right at the beginning

So:

3A + (Va - Vb)/5Ω = Vb/10Ω + Vb/40Ω

3A + (Va - Vb)/5Ω = (4Vb + Vb)/40Ω;

(then added (-Va + Vb)/5Ω to both sides and multiplied for common denominator:)

3A = (-8Va + 8Vb + 4Vb + Vb) / 40Ω

(substitute Va = 50V and combine like terms)

3A = (-400V + 13Vb)/40Ω

120V = -400V + 13Vb;

Vb = 520V/13

Vb = Vc = 40V

Ib = (40/10)A

Ib = 4A

Ic = 40/40A

Ic = 1A

Ia = -3A + 4A + 1A

Ia = 2A

P = IV

P from 50V = 2A*50V

= 100W supplied

P from 3A = 3A * 40V

= 120W supplied

Looks good or no?

and the power absorbed by the resistors adds up to the same amount

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I did a quick check and got Ia = 2 so I figure you've got the rest right as well, but I didn't actually check any of them

It looks funny to have both Vb and Vc, since they are the same node. I'd just label it Vb.

1. What is the node-voltage method?

The node-voltage method is a technique used to analyze electric circuits and calculate the current flowing through each component. It involves assigning a voltage value to each node in the circuit and using Kirchhoff's Current Law to write equations and solve for the unknown node voltages.

2. When is the node-voltage method used?

The node-voltage method is typically used when analyzing circuits with multiple sources and multiple components, making it difficult to use other methods like Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.

3. How do you use the node-voltage method?

To use the node-voltage method, you must first identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them with a reference node. Then, write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, using the known values and unknown node voltages. Finally, solve the equations to find the node voltages and use them to calculate the currents in each branch.

4. What are the advantages of using the node-voltage method?

The node-voltage method is advantageous because it is a systematic and organized approach to analyzing circuits. It also allows for the calculation of individual branch currents, which can be useful for troubleshooting and design purposes.

5. Are there any limitations to the node-voltage method?

The node-voltage method may become more complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes and components. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are linear, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.