Use of an Impact Test in the cross section design of a component

In summary, if you have impact test data showing energy absorbed by notched specimen, how do you utilize this data while designing? If you have a part that is subject to impact and that breaks under use, then one (not the only) option is to redesign the part using a material with increased impact strength. Some typical parts where this is a concern are the hammer mechanism in an impact wrench, cold chisels, and firing pins.
SurajS
If I have impact test data showing energy absorbed by notched specimen, how do I utilize this data while designing. In my case, i am trying to design the valve which closes by striking on valve seat, how do i use the impact test results for this design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming that you have a part that is subject to impact and that breaks under use, then one (not the only) option is to redesign the part using a material with increased impact strength. Some typical parts where this is a concern are the hammer mechanism in an impact wrench, cold chisels, and firing pins.

Companies that build high performance machines will sometimes have material specifications that include notched impact strength. The rest of us try to avoid impact where possible, and will focus our design efforts on reducing or eliminating impact. I have over 20 years experience at designing high performance machines, and have learned that using material with high impact strength is a last resort. When parts are impacting, the machine is noisy and vibrates a lot.

Likes anorlunda
jrmichler said:
Assuming that you have a part that is subject to impact and that breaks under use, then one (not the only) option is to redesign the part using a material with increased impact strength. Some typical parts where this is a concern are the hammer mechanism in an impact wrench, cold chisels, and firing pins.

Companies that build high performance machines will sometimes have material specifications that include notched impact strength. The rest of us try to avoid impact where possible, and will focus our design efforts on reducing or eliminating impact. I have over 20 years experience at designing high performance machines, and have learned that using material with high impact strength is a last resort. When parts are impacting, the machine is noisy and vibrates a lot.
I understand your concern, but in my case it is about emergency stop valve. So action of valve is very fast (20-30 millisec). Let me rephrase the question as:
Charpy impact test data (notch (2mm * 45 degree) specimen with 10*10*55 mm size) shows energy absorbed= 45 Joules , and energy available in spring (spring closes the valve) is 30 J, How can I correlate these two energies?

SurajS said:
Charpy impact test data (notch (2mm * 45 degree) specimen with 10*10*55 mm size) shows energy absorbed= 45 Joules , and energy available in spring (spring closes the valve) is 30 J, How can I correlate these two energies?
You don't. The parts are completely different, so the respective energy values cannot be directly compared.

I have designed parts comparable to what you describe. While there are published procedures for estimating impact stresses, the best approach is to build a prototype and test it. If an emergency stop valve has a design life of, say, 10 stops, then test it for 1000 cycles. If anything wears out or breaks, redesign and restart the test from scratch.

Make the first prototype from materials that seem reasonable. The testing will tell you if you need a better design or better materials. Keep in mind that fracture is only one of several different possible failure modes. Possible failure modes include creep, yielding, corrosion, stress corrosion cracking, spalling, wear, galling, and others. You can study the problem forever (paralysis by analysis) and still miss a failure mode, or you can build a prototype, test it, and find out. This is a case where test it and find out is faster, cheaper, and better than paralysis by analysis.

Thank you for information!

1. What is an impact test and why is it used in cross section design?

An impact test is a type of mechanical testing that measures the ability of a material to withstand sudden, high-force impacts. It is used in cross section design to ensure that a component can withstand unexpected impacts or loads without failing.

2. What factors are considered when conducting an impact test for cross section design?

Some factors that are considered when conducting an impact test for cross section design include the material properties of the component, the expected operating conditions, and the required safety factor.

3. How is the data from an impact test used in the cross section design process?

The data from an impact test is used to determine the strength and toughness of a material, which are important parameters in cross section design. This information helps engineers select the appropriate material and design a cross section that can withstand the expected loads and impacts.

4. Are there different types of impact tests used in cross section design?

Yes, there are different types of impact tests that can be used in cross section design, including Charpy and Izod tests. These tests differ in the way the impact force is applied and the type of specimen used, but they both measure the energy absorbed by a material during an impact.

5. How does the use of an impact test benefit the overall design of a component?

The use of an impact test in cross section design helps ensure that a component is strong enough to withstand unexpected impacts or loads, increasing its safety and reliability. It also allows engineers to optimize the design and select the most appropriate material for the component, potentially reducing costs and improving performance.