Use Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems to find the current in RL for the

• Thread starter shaltera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: Just like with Thevenin's theorem, you can use the Norton equivalent to calculate the current through the load resistor by dividing the Norton current by the total impedance of the load and the Norton equivalent. In summary, using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems, the current through the load resistor in this circuit can be calculated by finding the Thevenin and Norton equivalents, and then using the appropriate equations to determine the current.
shaltera

Homework Statement

Use Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems to find the current in RL for the circuit

TASK1_A.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thevenin equivalent
THEV.jpg

I have calculated VTH and ZTH
VTH=33.793-j5.517
ZTH=19.068+j11.172
Then I converted them in polar forms
Thefore I calculated the current through the load resistor I=VTH/ZTH+RL
I=0.489<-18.401

Homework Statement

My problem is Norton equivalent.Can it be represented like this:
nortas.jpg

and then IN=VTH/ZTH,once I find IN can easily calculate IL=IN(ZTH/ZTH+RL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shaltera said:

Homework Statement

Use Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems to find the current in RL for the circuit

TASK1_A.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thevenin equivalent
THEV.jpg

I have calculated VTH and ZTH
VTH=33.793-j5.517
ZTH=19.068+j11.172
Those values look fine.

Then I converted them in polar forms
Thefore I calculated the current through the load resistor I=VTH/ZTH+RL
I=0.489<-18.401
The current magnitude looks good. Maybe a typo in the second decimal place of the angle?

Homework Statement

My problem is Norton equivalent.Can it be represented like this:
nortas.jpg

and then IN=VTH/ZTH,once I find IN can easily calculate IL=IN(ZTH/ZTH+RL)
Yes, that's correct.

Likes 1 person

1. What are Thevenin's and Norton's theorems?

Thevenin's and Norton's theorems are two important concepts in electrical circuit analysis. They both allow us to simplify complex circuits into equivalent circuits with a single voltage or current source and a single resistor. This makes it easier to analyze and solve circuit problems.

2. How do you use Thevenin's theorem to find the current in RL?

To use Thevenin's theorem, you first need to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit for the given circuit. This involves finding the Thevenin voltage and the Thevenin resistance. Once you have the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you can treat it like a simple series circuit and use Ohm's law to find the current flowing through RL. The formula for current in a series circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

3. How do you use Norton's theorem to find the current in RL?

Norton's theorem is very similar to Thevenin's theorem, except it uses a current source instead of a voltage source. To use Norton's theorem, you need to find the Norton equivalent circuit by determining the Norton current and the Norton resistance. Once you have the Norton equivalent circuit, you can use Ohm's law to find the current in RL. Remember, the formula for current in a series circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

4. What is the benefit of using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems?

Thevenin's and Norton's theorems allow us to simplify complex circuits into equivalent circuits with a single voltage or current source and a single resistor. This makes it much easier to analyze and solve circuit problems, especially when dealing with more advanced circuits with multiple components.

5. Are there any limitations to using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems. They can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must follow Ohm's law. They also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, such as op-amps. Additionally, the theorems assume that the circuit is in steady-state, meaning that all capacitors are fully charged and all inductors have zero current.