Use vectors and the dot product to prove the midpoint

In summary, the conversation discusses using vectors and the dot product to prove that the midpoint of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equidistant to all three vertices. The method involves constructing vectors and showing that their magnitudes are the same, thus proving that their distances are the same. The vector version of the law of cosines is also mentioned, which can be used to compute the magnitude of a vector. Finally, the conversation concludes with the successful proof of the given problem.
BoonBoon

Homework Statement

[/B]
Use vectors and the dot product to prove that the midpoint of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equidistant to all three vertices.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I know the dot product is A⋅B = |A||B|cosΘ ... or ... A1B1 + A2B2 + A3B3 ... + AnBn

I know the magnitude of a vector is its length, and is given by√(x^2 + y^2) I have omitted the z^2 since I want to solve this in R^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I figure doing this in R^2 is easier, so I drew a right triangle with points P(0,0), R(0, y), S(x, 0)

I know the midpoint would be given by T = (x/2, y/2)

I constructed vectors using these points:

PS = <x, 0>
PR = <0, y>
TS = <x/2, -y/2>
RT = <x/2, -y/2>
PT = <x/2, y/2>

From this I can show that the magnitude of TS, RT, and PT are all the same, thus their distances are the same. I can also use this to show that TS = RT. I can then take the dot product of TS and RT and work it down to show the angle between them is 0 (so cosΘ = 1) and thus they are the same vector.

What I cannot do for the life of me is use the dot product to prove that PT has the same magnitude as the other two vectors, TS and RT. I just can't figure it out. I've tried finding ways to express PT as other vectors but everything I've tried has failed. I am tearing my hair out!

Here is a diagram of how I am trying to layout my triangle:

5FKRlNH.png

I would greatly appreciate any insight into this very troubling problem. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the exercise considers "using the dot product". Computing the magnitude of a vector can be regarded as using the dot product. [itex] |A| = \sqrt{ A \cdot A} [/itex].

There is a vector version of the law of cosines:

If [itex] C = A + B [/itex] then [itex] |C|^2 = |A|^2 + |B|^2 + 2( A \cdot B) [/itex].

If you set [itex] C = A - B [/itex] then it looks like the law of cosines from trigonometry. [itex] |C|^2 = |A|^2 + |B|^2 - 2( A \cdot B) [/itex].

Whether it is acceptable to use the law of cosines for vectors depends on what's been covered in your course.

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't know what the exercise considers "using the dot product". Computing the magnitude of a vector can be regarded as using the dot product. [itex] |A| = \sqrt{ A \cdot A} [/itex].

There is a vector version of the law of cosines:

If [itex] C = A + B [/itex] then [itex] |C|^2 = |A|^2 + |B|^2 + 2( A \cdot B) [/itex].

If you set [itex] C = A - B [/itex] then it looks like the law of cosines from trigonometry. [itex] |C|^2 = |A|^2 + |B|^2 - 2( A \cdot B) [/itex].

Whether it is acceptable to use the law of cosines for vectors depends on what's been covered in your course.

Hey, thank you for your reply. I went about it a little differently than I originally posted and was able to prove it. Thanks for mentioning that a vector's magnitude is equal to the square root of that vector dotted by itself. Using that idea, I was able to prove that the distance to every vertex was the same. I completely forgot about that property, and it turns out it's quite useful, haha. :)

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar as output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing up the results.

2. How is the midpoint of a line segment calculated using vectors and the dot product?

The midpoint of a line segment can be calculated by adding the two vectors that represent the endpoints of the segment and then dividing the result by 2. This is due to the fact that the dot product of a vector with itself is equal to the square of its magnitude.

3. What is the significance of using the dot product to prove the midpoint?

Using the dot product to prove the midpoint allows us to use a more general and abstract approach, rather than relying on specific geometrical properties of the line segment. It also helps us to easily extend the proof to higher dimensions.

4. Can the dot product be used to prove the midpoint of any line segment?

Yes, the dot product can be used to prove the midpoint of any line segment, regardless of its length or orientation. This is because the dot product is a general mathematical operation that is applicable to all vectors.

5. Is the proof of the midpoint using vectors and the dot product difficult to understand?

The difficulty of understanding the proof may vary from person to person. However, with a basic understanding of vectors and the dot product, the proof can be easily grasped. It is always helpful to visualize the vectors and line segment in question to better understand the concept.