Useless Trivia: Places to Drive on Left

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary: In Trivial Pursuit[if anyone still plays this], if the answer is a city but you don't know which one, guess Paris.There are between 330 and 500 dimples on a golfball.The longest boxing match lasted seven and a half hours and went 110 rounds.Mr. Potato Head revolutionized the toy industry in 1952 - he was the first toy to be advertised on televesion. In spite of being the first toy to realize the power of television, Mr. Potato Head only received four votes (all write-in) in Boise's 1985 Mayoral election. Is it illegal to chew gum
Huckleberry said:
Freud would be proud. And very busy. Take a look at these sex hangups from around the world.
In Minnesota, it is illegal for any man to have sexual intercourse with a live fish.
So a dead fish is okay? Or does that violate the no-sex-with-a-corpse law?

In Detroit, couples are not allowed to make love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
Makes one wonder how much time Hypatia must have spent in prison...

In Kingsville, Texas there is a law against two pigs having sex on the city's airport property.
Hey SOS! Did you see this?

Women can sell items and be topless in Liverpool, England—but only in tropical fish stores.
That's just cruel. Get the guys all worked up, and then tell 'em they can't use the fish...

In the quiet town of Connorsville, Wisconsin, it's illegal for a man to shoot off a gun when his female partner has an orgasm.
Can he fire a rocket?

In the state of Washington there is a law against having sex with a virgin under any circumstances (including the wedding night).
Does anyone else see a paradox here? I suppose this has something to do with Clinton's definition of 'sex'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Makes one wonder how much time Hypatia must have spent in prison...

None,..lol I have a lot of property~! o:)

If you repeatedly use your microwave oven to heat a sodium acetate solution sufficiently such that supersaturation is achieved, your microwave will forever smell like an aspirin.

Ivan Seeking said:
If you repeatedly use your microwave oven to heat a sodium acetate solution sufficiently such that supersaturation is achieved, your microwave will forever smell like an aspirin.
Will that keep it sterile?

You can also heat water past the boiling point in a microwave without it breaking the surface tension. As soon as the surface is disturbed the water can explode into steam and cause serious burns.

007 is the ISD telephone code for Russia.

Pierre Trudeau's favourite snack food was/were chocolate chip cookies

Canada's founders considered the following names for the new country in 1867:
Albertoria (I guess after Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband)
Cabotia
Efisga (england, france, italy, scotland, germany, aborigines)
Hochegela (former name of Montreal, the Toronto of the day)
Norland
Tuponia (short form of the United Provinces of North America)
Victorialand
West Britainnia

-- simultaneous translation in Canada's House of Commons was introduced by Dief the cheif early in 1959. i don't know how non-bilingual people could have got by before then.

-- a Canadian photographer (the toronto star's norman similas) took a photo of dealy plaza or whatever that clearly showed 2 assassins in the window of the texas school book depository. the rcmp took them & the negatives but then they got "lost"

-- in Canada the correct way to address a mayor is "your worship"

-- the town of niagara-on-the-lake doesn't have a mayor, it has a lord mayor

-- "screech" (flavoured jamaican rum made in st. john's nfld) comes from the scottish word "screigh" which means 'whiskey"

Last edited:
Safe ice thicknesses, in inches:

Single person on skis 1.5"
Single person on foot 2.5"
Groups in single file 3"
Snowmobile 3"
Small car 7.5"
Large car, small truck 9"
7 tonnes 10"
25 tonnes 20"
70 tonnes 30"

Don't walk on ice kids, it's dangerous.

fourier jr said:
-- simultaneous translation in Canada's House of Commons was introduced by Dief the cheif early in 1959.
You blacken this site with mention of that treasonous bastard? If he were alive today, I would cheerfully assassinate him in the most hideous manner imaginable for what he did to the Arrow. :mad:

fourier jr said:
-- "screech" (flavoured jamaican rum made in st. john's nfld) comes from the scottish word "screigh" which means 'whiskey"
I always thought that the name came from the sound you make when you first taste it. :-p

brewnog said:
Safe ice thicknesses, in inches:
So that'd be about 4" for you and your armload of Guinness? :-p

The worlds record for rope quoit throwing is an unbroken sequence of 4,002 pegs by Bill Irby, Sr., of Australia, in 1968.

Plimsoll Line markings:

TF Tropical Fresh Water
F Fresh Water
T Tropical Sea Water
S Summer Sea Water
W Winter Sea Water
WNA Winter North Atlantic

There are also apparently different markings for vessels on the Great American Lakes, and for Timber Load Lines etc.

Longest midget toss was by an English truck driver named Jimmy Leonard. He tossed Lenny the Giant (4'4'' , 98 lbs.) 11 feet, 5 inches.

All pet hamsters are descended from a single female wild golden hamster found with a litter of 12 young in Syria in 1930.

Elvis Presley was not a King and his manager Col. Tom Parker was not an actual Colonel

If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.

Pop Tarts actually taste better chilled in a refrigerator than heated in a toaster.

The Chinese were using aluminum to make things as early as 300 AD, Western civilization didn't rediscover aluminum until 1827

Adolf Hilter liked to dump sauerkraut on his ice cream as a snack before bedtime.

There's an interesting religion from Vietnam called Caodaism. It's formed from a fusion of secular and religious philosophies of the East and West and is based on messages received in seances to Ngo Minh Chieu, the group's founder, from various historical figures such as Joan of Arc, Shakespeare, Lenin and Elvis. There are three saints, Viatnamese peot and prophet Trang Trinh, Chinese revolutionary Dr Sun Yatesen and Victor Hugo. The main temple in Tay Ninh is really gaudy and there's a big globe covered in stars in the centre with a big creepy eye painted on it.

Last edited:
Gerald Ford once had a job as a male model. He was also the only President to have two women attempt to assisinate him.

He was the only person to serve as both Vice-President and President without being elected to either position.

He not only pardoned Nixon and draft dodgers, but also pardoned Robert E Lee of all charges of treason (post-humously, of course).

His name at birth was Leslie Lynch King, Jr.

Daniel Webster's biggest desire was to become President of the United States. The closest he came was when first William Henry Harrison asked Webster to be his running mate and, again, when Zachary Taylor asked him to be his running mate. Webster turned them down both times. Both candidates won the election and then died in office. However, Webster did include the words "misjudgement, blunder, error, fault, flub, fumble, goof, miscue, misstep, slipup, stumble; foul-up, muff; miscalculation" in his dictionary.

The German word for nightmare, Albtraum, means "elf dream". The archaic form Albdruck means "elf pressure"; it was believed that nightmares are a result of an elf sitting on the dreamer's chest.

The word 'tragedy' comes from the Greek word tragoidia which means 'goat's song'. I don't know why though. The song 'Tragedy', by the Bee Gees, comes from hell.

More people are killed by jellyfish each year than by sharks.

The volume of the quotes in Ivan Seeking's posts now exceeds the volume of his posts 82.35% of the time.

The word 'Zoobyshoe' comes from the San Diegan word Zooby, which translates directly as "bigfoot"; hence "shoe of the bigfoot". However, it has been suggested that a Zooby is properly called the surviving-neanderthal/homo erectus/cro-magnon. So in the future, please refer to Zoobyshoe as surviving-neanderthal/homo erectus/cro-magnon-shoe.

Skepticism and Debunking mentor, Ivan Seeking, has posted more accurate and detailed information on the subject of farm animal genitalia than any Biology mentor at PF.

Ivan Seeking said:
Sing it Artman!
Artman said:
Rhino hooker pimp.

I now believe in demonic possession.

I know I have a copy of Charles Fort's Book of the Damned around here somewhere...

Ivan Seeking said:
The German word for nightmare, Albtraum, means "elf dream". The archaic form Albdruck means "elf pressure"; it was believed that nightmares are a result of an elf sitting on the dreamer's chest.
The Norwegian name for the nightmare, "mareritt" means the "mare's ride", i.e, it refers to a mythological creature,the "mare", who was supposed to straddle the dreamer's chest, and literally ride him into the world of "nightmares".

Thus, the English, German and Norwegian words really refers to the same basic idea, that nightmares were caused by a malevolent being which sat upon the dreamer's chest and made him suffer.

Interesting, it sounds like both ideas come from sleep paralysis.

If you take a "green leafy" branch and place it inside a bottle (like a plastic soda bottle) and seal it closed, by the end of a hot sunny day it'll produce as much as 1/3 cup of water.

Evo said:
If you take a "green leafy" branch and place it inside a bottle (like a plastic soda bottle) and seal it closed, by the end of a hot sunny day it'll produce as much as 1/3 cup of water.
So will a hamster.

Danger said:
So will a hamster.
Oh Nooooooooo. :cry:

Evo said:
Danger said:
So will a hamster.

But which would you rather drink?

Huckleberry said:
But which would you rather drink?
That's tough... I'm a carnivore, so I guess I eat the hamster and drink the plant piss. Better than the other way around. :biggrin:

Many dark-green leafy vegetables are an excellent source of nicotine. I think spinach is one of the best.

Ivan Seeking said:
Many dark-green leafy vegetables are an excellent source of nicotine. I think spinach is one of the best.
I heard eggplant had the most.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I heard eggplant had the most.

That would explain the guy that I saw smoking an eggplant! :-p

In 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo mentions that he gets nicotine for his cigars from the plants on the ocean floor. Any truth to this? I did a little searching but couldn't find anything useful.

And similarly, a rather long lunch with a smoking friend can be easily equaled by a third of an ounce of eggplant.
Huckleberry said:
In 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo mentions that he gets nicotine for his cigars from the plants on the ocean floor. Any truth to this? I did a little searching but couldn't find anything useful.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/329/6/437
That's the quickest thing I could find.

Huckleberry said:
In 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo mentions that he gets nicotine for his cigars from the plants on the ocean floor.
Are you sure he wasn't smoking a blowfish?