Using 2N3904 for 3V audio preamp

• Thread starter Inventive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary: CD4069 hex inverter. I found that when I tried to get a gain of 50 in a single transistor circuit, the transistor would saturate. I then connected the inverter in a positive gain configuration and got a gain of approximately 50. I also tried using a CMOS inverter but it didn't work as well. I think I will try the self-biasing amplifier approach next.
Inventive
I want to use a 3.3 volt supply to power a voltage divider biased pre-amplifier using a 2N3904. My input signal level is 50mv p-p with a 50 ohm source resistance. I am looking for a gain of about 50. After doing the math and building the circuit, my design works, but in order to get a adequate quiescent point I have to use small valued resistors. As a result of this, I end up with a very low complex input impedance when I connect my signal source.
My question is what would be a better approach to the amplifier design?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try something like this:
FIG_TS-6-19.gif

The gain is approximately 1 + R4/R5.

Likes Inventive
Thanks everyone for your help. I am sure if I replied properly to Svein, but it looks like there is the usual voltage divider bias circuit consisting of Q1 with the addition of Q2. It looks like Q2 is being used as time varying current valve. When the collector voltage at Q1 is lower than the voltage at the base of Q2 (Vcc-vbe of Q2) then Q2 conduct a current which generates a time varying voltage across R4 and R5. Q2 also functions to not load or disturb the Q point of Q1. That AC signal can be coupled through C2. Now my load will see a AC output impedance of Xc2 (capacitive reactance of C2) plus R4 + R5 or just R4 + R5 if I neglect C2's impedance effects. Is my interpretation correct? Thanks

Inventive said:
Is my interpretation correct?
Yes - sort of.

Now - back your original problem. I am not sure that the circuit I copied for you is the complete answer to your needs. The 2N3904 has a minimum beta or current gain of 100. Getting a gain of 50 out of a single transistor circuit is going to be problematic. I shall sketch some additional solutions for you to choose between (my motto is: Do not commit yourself until you have at least 5 solutions to choose between).
  1. Use a low voltage operational amplifier like OPA322 (http://www.ti.com/product/opa322/datasheet) and connect it in a positive gain configuration.
    upload_2017-3-9_16-9-42.png
    The gain is 1 + Rf/Rg
  2. Use a CMOS inverter (4069UB) and connect it as an amplifier
    cmos-amp-png.73527.png
  3. Use a self - biasing amplifier, like this:
    upload_2017-3-9_16-9-42.png
  4. Use a JFET instead of the 2N3904. This will give you a higher input impedance
    amp14.gif
  5. Or go with the circuit I gave you, but modify it until it works (I would personally try to self-bias the first stage as in point 3. above
(Edit) Somehow the circuit that should be attached to point 1 is shown as an attachment in the bottom of my post and the circuit belonging to point 3 is shown instead - I don't know why!

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-9_16-2-11.png
    upload_2017-3-9_16-2-11.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 520
Likes Inventive
Svein said:
Yes - sort of.

Now - back your original problem. I am not sure that the circuit I copied for you is the complete answer to your needs. The 2N3904 has a minimum beta or current gain of 100. Getting a gain of 50 out of a single transistor circuit is going to be problematic. I shall sketch some additional solutions for you to choose between (my motto is: Do not commit yourself until you have at least 5 solutions to choose between).
  1. Use a low voltage operational amplifier like OPA322 (http://www.ti.com/product/opa322/datasheet) and connect it in a positive gain configuration.
    View attachment 114291 The gain is 1 + Rf/Rg
  2. Use a CMOS inverter (4069UB) and connect it as an amplifier
    cmos-amp-png.73527.png
  3. Use a self - biasing amplifier, like this:
    View attachment 114291
  4. Use a JFET instead of the 2N3904. This will give you a higher input impedance
    amp14.gif
  5. Or go with the circuit I gave you, but modify it until it works (I would personally try to self-bias the first stage as in point 3. above
(Edit) Somehow the circuit that should be attached to point 1 is shown as an attachment in the bottom of my post and the circuit belonging to point 3 is shown instead - I don't know why!
Thanks for you help. I found a CD4069 hex inverter in my supply of parts, and a n channel JFET. I think I will take your advice and try many different configurations that have shown me. I majored in electronics (B.S.) a long time ago and have become interested in circuit design and it's application again as a hobby. With my first circuit I though a gain 50 could be attained with a single transistor using the r'e model since I am working at lower frequencies. Thanks again for your time.

Thanks everyone for your input. I went with the FET approach

1. What is a 2N3904 transistor and how does it work?

The 2N3904 is a commonly used NPN bipolar junction transistor (BJT). It is a three-terminal device that can amplify electronic signals, making it useful in many electronic circuits such as audio preamps. It works by controlling the flow of current between its collector and emitter terminals using a small current at the base terminal.

2. Can the 2N3904 be used as a preamplifier for 3V audio signals?

Yes, the 2N3904 can be used as a preamp for 3V audio signals. It has a maximum collector current of 200mA and a maximum voltage rating of 40V, which makes it suitable for amplifying 3V audio signals.

3. What are the advantages of using a 2N3904 for a 3V audio preamp?

One advantage of using a 2N3904 for a 3V audio preamp is its low cost and availability. It is a widely used and inexpensive transistor, making it a popular choice for many electronic projects. Additionally, it has a high current gain and low noise, making it suitable for audio applications.

4. How do I connect the 2N3904 in a 3V audio preamp circuit?

The 2N3904 can be connected in a common emitter configuration, where the input audio signal is applied to the base terminal, the output is taken from the collector terminal, and the emitter is connected to ground. A resistor should also be connected between the base and emitter terminals to limit the base current.

5. Are there any limitations or precautions when using a 2N3904 for a 3V audio preamp?

One limitation of using a 2N3904 for a 3V audio preamp is its low voltage rating of 40V. This means that it may not be suitable for amplifying higher voltage audio signals. Additionally, care should be taken to ensure that the maximum collector current and power dissipation ratings are not exceeded to avoid damaging the transistor.