Using air core solenoids in a lab exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a box of air core solenoids with 700 turns and a current capacity of 7 to 10 amps for a lab exercise. The speaker is looking for suggestions for a more quantitative lab, rather than just a demonstration. They mention the possibility of using compasses to map out the external B-field lines and suggest using an app like phyphox to measure the field. The conversation also mentions @kuruman's insight on modeling a magnet falling through a solenoid and the use of qualitative labs for students to predict the shape of the induced emf. The conversation ends with a reminder to subtract the Earth's magnetic field in data processing.
nmsurobert
I found a box of air core solenoids and was hoping someone could me think of a useful lab to use them for. They are about 700 turns each. They carry 7 to 10 amps. However I think I think I would only be able to provide 3 amps because of the power supplies I have. I would like to use them to do some actually calculations instead of just demo type things.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Do you have signal generators and oscilloscopes? Do you know the approximate inductance values of the solenoids? Do you have any ferrous rods that would fit inside of the air core solenoids?

Likes hutchphd
What grade level?

berkeman said:
Do you have signal generators and oscilloscopes? Do you know the approximate inductance values of the solenoids? Do you have any ferrous rods that would fit inside of the air core solenoids?
I have non of those things. I might be able to find some iron rods though.
hutchphd said:
What grade level?
Most 11th and 12th grade. AP Physics 2.

Do you have a way to measure the magnetic field strength at various points?

Likes berkeman
vela said:
Do you have a way to measure the magnetic field strength at various points?
Oh, good idea. The students could use a compass to map out the external B-field lines and sketch them...

berkeman said:
Oh, good idea. The students could use a compass to map out the external B-field lines and sketch them...
I have a bunch of compasses. I guess I'll end up using them. I like qualitative labs, but these students are very bright and I like challenging them a little bit. However, I'm always short on supplies.
vela said:
You could check out @kuruman's insight. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/how-to-model-a-magnet-falling-through-a-solenoid/

Qualitative labs can be good too. Have students predict the general shape of the emf induced when they drop a magnet through the solenoid. What happens if they drop the magnet in the other side? Does the curve flip over? Does it stay the same? Explain how they figured it out. That sort of thing.
Thank you for that link! I'll read through it and see if I can take anything from it.

berkeman said:
I was thinking more along the lines of something like the Pasco Magnetic Field Sensor since the OP wanted a quantitative lab exercise.

I suppose the students could use an app like phyphox on their smartphones to measure the field and map it.

vela said:
I was thinking more along the lines of something like the Pasco Magnetic Field Sensor since the OP wanted a quantitative lab exercise.

I suppose the students could use an app like phyphox on their smartphones to measure the field and map it.
I've never heard of phyphox. It looks really interesting though. Thank you for that.

Likes BillTre
@nmsurobert -- Whatever method you use to have the students map out the DC magnetic field of the coil, be sure to remind them that the Earth's magnetic field is being vectorially summed with the coil's field in their measurements. So their measurements need to subtract out the Earth's magnetic field vector as part of their data processing.

1. What is an air core solenoid?

An air core solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. Unlike other types of solenoids, it does not have a ferromagnetic core, which means the magnetic field is created solely by the current in the coil.

2. How are air core solenoids used in lab exercises?

Air core solenoids are commonly used in lab exercises to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism. They can be used to show the relationship between current, magnetic field, and force, as well as how changing the number of coils or the current affects the magnetic field strength.

3. What are the advantages of using air core solenoids in lab exercises?

One major advantage of using air core solenoids in lab exercises is that they do not have a magnetic core, which means they do not retain magnetism when the current is turned off. This allows for more control and precision in experiments. Additionally, air core solenoids are typically lightweight and portable, making them easy to use and transport in a lab setting.

4. Are there any limitations to using air core solenoids in lab exercises?

One limitation of air core solenoids is that they do not have as strong of a magnetic field as solenoids with ferromagnetic cores. This means that they may not be suitable for experiments that require a very strong magnetic field. Additionally, air core solenoids may be more susceptible to damage from high currents, so caution should be taken when conducting experiments with them.

5. Can air core solenoids be used in other applications besides lab exercises?

Yes, air core solenoids have a variety of applications outside of lab exercises. They are often used in electronic devices such as speakers and relays, as well as in medical equipment like MRI machines. They can also be found in industrial and manufacturing settings for tasks such as controlling valves and sorting materials.