Using Best drone and Software to count wild animals

In summary: I am in Turkey so Ia m not sure about the rules,But We may use militaty drones, since there's some projestcs like that in the USA using Raven Drone, I am not sure heli drones are possible to calculate suvh things the coast of the area is 110 km and there's most likely 10000 groose
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a project and in that project I'll count the wild life animals from a drone.

I need to find a drone that doesn't make much sound also (maximum 60-70 dB), it must capable of a flight time 30 min and also can carry a IR camera.
I find a drone callled Phantom 4 (Advanced or Pro), I am not sure this is the best option for this project.But I searched some drones and this seems the best.There'll approximately 2.000 animal so I am not sure what should I count all of them.
I ll use the IR cmaera in the white hot mode so, my idea is using a software program that can count these aniamls in this mode.

I find a better one Inspire but I am not sure that it have a autonom mode (making waypointes and flying through them)

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you want a helicopter drone or an airplane style drone? It seems the helicopter ones make a fair amount of noise enough to scare an animal unless it is flying high enough.

Here's a pricey one that can fly for 85 minutes with 2 mile tether:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...HsXvesWBEaAi4HEALw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1330626

There's probably something a lot cheaper with reduced flight times like this one:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJJ2ZM/A/parrot-disco-fpv-drone?afid=p238%7CswVEc7FwB-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_175093792935_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla---slid--product-HKJJ2ZM/A

and I think the db levels will be low enough.

Are you counting elephants or squirrels? Are there trees? Do the animals naturally have camouflaged coats? Will you be writing the image processing software to do the counting?

Sounds like a fun project. What are the drone flight rules in the area where you will be doing the counting?

Well, I am not sure about the drone flight rules, I ll count the groose, there's not much trees the terrain is open , but in IR camera it will be no problem I guess I am not sure though.

Arman777 said:
Well, I am not sure about the drone flight rules, I ll count the groose, there's not much trees the terrain is open , but in IR camera it will be no problem I guess I am not sure though.
Well, in the US, drones are regulated by the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/uas/

And AFAIK, drones are not allowed in most Federal, State and Local parks. Flying your drone over a private ranch at low altitude with written permission of the ranch owner may not be a problem, but check the FAA rules for allowed altitudes and other restrictions.

I am in Turkey so Ia m not sure about the rules,But We may use militaty drones, since there's some projestcs like that in the USA using Raven Drone, I am not sure heli drones are possible to calculate suvh things the coast of the area is 110 km and there's most likely 10000 groose
berkeman said:
Well, in the US, drones are regulated by the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/uas/

And AFAIK, drones are not allowed in most Federal, State and Local parks. Flying your drone over a private ranch at low altitude with written permission of the ranch owner may not be a problem, but check the FAA rules for allowed altitudes and other restrictions.

1. How accurate is the data collected using drones to count wild animals?

The accuracy of the data collected using drones to count wild animals depends on various factors such as the type of drone, flight altitude, weather conditions, and the expertise of the operator. However, studies have shown that drone-based surveys can provide more accurate and precise results compared to traditional methods.

2. What type of drones and software are best for counting wild animals?

The type of drone and software best suited for counting wild animals depends on the specific requirements of the study. Generally, fixed-wing drones with high-resolution cameras and specialized software for image analysis are recommended for accurate and efficient animal surveys.

3. Can drones disturb or harm the animals during the counting process?

When operated properly, drones typically do not disturb or harm the animals being counted. However, it is important to follow guidelines and regulations for flying drones near wildlife, such as maintaining a safe distance and avoiding unnecessary noise and disturbance.

4. How long does it take to count a large population of wild animals using drones?

The time it takes to count a large population of wild animals using drones depends on several factors, including the size of the area being surveyed, the flight speed and altitude of the drone, and the type of software used. In general, drone-based surveys can cover larger areas in a shorter amount of time compared to traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using drones for counting wild animals?

While drones can be a valuable tool for counting wild animals, there are some limitations to consider. These include regulations and restrictions on flying drones near wildlife, the need for skilled operators, and potential challenges with flying in certain weather conditions or terrain. It is important to carefully plan and prepare for the use of drones in animal surveys to ensure accurate and ethical data collection.