Using calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid

In summary: That was a silly mistake on my part. I should have noticed that the diagonals were twice the length of the base and adjusted accordingly. Thank you again for your help and for catching that mistake. In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid. The participant attempts to solve the problem by calculating 1/4 of the pyramid in the first octant and then multiplying the final answer by 4. However, there is a mistake in the calculation as the diagonals of the base are twice the length of the base, resulting in a doubled volume. The correct volume is found by multiplying the area of the base by the height divided by three.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

Use calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid

The Attempt at a Solution

There's probably a simpler way to go about this, but I wanted a challenge. I decided to calculate 1/4 of the pyramid in the first octant and then multiply my final answer by 4.

First we have a pyramid of height h, length L and width w, (measuring from the origin) so the corners are at (0,0,h), (L,0,0) and (0,w,0).

Calculating the plane that defines this quarter of the pyramid yields

[itex]whx+lhy+lw(z-h)=0[/itex] so [itex]z=h-\frac{hx}{l}-\frac{hy}{w}[/itex]

We integrate this over dy from 0 to [itex]y=\frac{-wx}{l}+w[/itex] which is the diagonal line the pyramid would make in octant one when looking straight down and then over dx from 0 to L.

Multiply this answer by 4 and we get [itex]\frac{2hwl}{3}[/itex], so it comes out double for some reason? :cry:

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement

Use calculus to derive the volume of a pyramid

The Attempt at a Solution

There's probably a simpler way to go about this, but I wanted a challenge. I decided to calculate 1/4 of the pyramid in the first octant and then multiply my final answer by 4.

First we have a pyramid of height h, length L and width w, (measuring from the origin) so the corners are at (0,0,h), (L,0,0) and (0,w,0).

Calculating the plane that defines this quarter of the pyramid yields
What do you mean by this? What plane? You can, in fact, use a number of different planes. Planes parallel to the three coordinate planes are the obvious ones.
Taking [tex]z= z_0[/tex] we would, by "similar triangles" have [tex]\frac{x}{l}= \frac{y}{w}= \frac{z_0}{h}[/tex] so that we integrate with respect to z from 0 to h and, for each z, with respect to x from 0 to [tex]\frac{lz}{h}[/tex] and with respect to y from 0 to [tex]\frac{wz}{h}[/tex]

[itex]whx+lhy+lw(z-h)=0[/itex] so [itex]z=h-\frac{hx}{l}-\frac{hy}{w}[/itex]

We integrate this over dy from 0 to [itex]y=\frac{-wx}{l}+w[/itex] which is the diagonal line the pyramid would make in octant one when looking straight down and then over dx from 0 to L.

Multiply this answer by 4 and we get [itex]\frac{2hwl}{3}[/itex], so it comes out double for some reason? :cry:

Thanks for looking.

"What plane?"

As I thought I made clear, the plane defining the surface of the pyramid in the first octant.

With respect, I think you are making this unnecessarily difficult, and you are calculating only for a symmetrical pyramid. Imagine any pointy thing with straight edges between base and top, with a base area 'A' in the xy plane, and height h. Then consider a parallel plane thickness dz, at height z. Calculate the volume of the slice, and then integrate between o and h.

Didn't follow the logic in the OP completely, but I notice the absence of a step where the area of a triangle is involved. That's where the 1/2 should come from.

pongo38 said:
With respect, I think you are making this unnecessarily difficult, and you are calculating only for a symmetrical pyramid. Imagine any pointy thing with straight edges between base and top, with a base area 'A' in the xy plane, and height h. Then consider a parallel plane thickness dz, at height z. Calculate the volume of the slice, and then integrate between o and h.

What made you think I'm calculating only for a symmetrical pyramid?

haruspex said:
Didn't follow the logic in the OP completely, but I notice the absence of a step where the area of a triangle is involved. That's where the 1/2 should come from.

That would be nice, but I'm fairly sure that's not it as the double integral accounts for the area of the triangle. I did it twice and got the same answer so I'm fairly certain it's not an algebra mistake. Hopefully this will make things clearer:

G5GwXw0.jpg

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
That would be nice, but I'm fairly sure that's not it as the double integral accounts for the area of the triangle. I did it twice and got the same answer so I'm fairly certain it's not an algebra mistake. Hopefully this will make things clearer:

G5GwXw0.jpg

The integrand is only valid for z=0. If you think I've misunderstood, pls write out in more detail how you're carving up the pyramid for the purpose of integration.

You're not solving the problem you think you are. You found the volume of a pyramid where the diagonals of the base are length 2L and 2w. The area of the base is 4(wL/2) = 2wL, and to get the volume, you'd multiply the area of the base by h/3, which yields the same result as what you got.

Last edited:
vela said:
You're not solving the problem you think you are. You found the volume of a pyramid where the diagonals of the base are length 2L and 2w. The area of the base is 4(wL/2) = 2wL, and to get the volume, you'd multiply the area of the base by h/3, which yields the same result as what you got.

Of course! Thank you

1. How is calculus used to derive the volume of a pyramid?

Calculus is used to find the volume of a pyramid by integrating the cross-sectional area of the pyramid as it varies along the height of the pyramid.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a pyramid using calculus?

The formula for finding the volume of a pyramid using calculus is V = ⅓ * ∫A(x)dx, where V is the volume, A(x) is the cross-sectional area at a particular height x, and the integral is taken over the height of the pyramid.

3. Can the volume of any pyramid be found using calculus?

Yes, the volume of any pyramid can be found using calculus as long as the cross-sectional area can be expressed as a function of the height.

4. Is calculus the only way to find the volume of a pyramid?

No, there are other methods to find the volume of a pyramid, such as using geometric formulas or using the formula V = (1/3) * Bh, where B is the base area and h is the height. However, calculus is often used when the shape of the pyramid is more complex.

5. How does finding the volume of a pyramid using calculus relate to real-world applications?

Finding the volume of a pyramid using calculus has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. It allows for more accurate and precise calculations, which can be useful in designing buildings, calculating fluid flow rates, and understanding the behavior of objects in motion.