Using Ethyl Butyrate to flavor water?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
skyshrimp
I add a little malic acid to my water to flavour it. I was wondering if it was ok to also add a drop of ethyl butyrate to see what it tastes like.
I've found it here,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234612863061

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is okay.

It is very likely that everyone reading this thread consumes it daily because it is used extensively in tiny amounts by food manufacturers as a high power flavor enhancer for orange juice, and for most fruit fillings for pies, pastries, soft drinks and candies.

[opinion]
I think it is on the GRAS (generally regarded as safe) list in the US, so apparently it has been used for a long time. Dunno about the UK and EU. ...better living through Chemistry?
[/opinion]

Likes DeBangis21 and skyshrimp
Thread moved to Chemistry.

The OP eBay listing includes the statement:
"Do not consume. For external use only. Keep away from children and eyes."

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and Vanadium 50
Yeah, I was just going to say to be sure it is food grade. Don't EVER let that stuff hydrolyze. It will smell like drunk baby vomit.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DeBangis21, Borek, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
Wiki states that ethyl butyrate is a liquid and that it's solubility in water is 150 parts. It's also called pineapple oil.

If I understand correctly, this makes it slightly soluble (6 ml to 1 litre).
https://www.solubilityofthings.com/levels-of-solubility

Will I need an emulsifier to blend 1ml ethyl butyrate with 1 litre of water?

How do I stop it hydrolysing with water?

Will ethyl butyrate react with the malic acid? I don't want to create butyric acid as it wil smell.

I'm also planning to experiment by adding ethyl butyrate to homemade fruit wine (hooch).

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
It will smell like drunk baby vomit.
Would I regret it if I asked you how you know?

• Haha
Likes chemisttree and fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, you know, there was a time before everything was made in China, a time before baby-soothers. However, dry bread, a textile handkerchief, and whisky (or any equivalent spirit, depending on the region, but all had some sort of liquor) were always available. Now combine all three and the baby will soothe and ...

skyshrimp said:
That would probably be a sensory overload, with all the negative implications.

A similar hydrolysis product, butyric acid, was used in stink bombs by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, to disrupt the Japanese whaling crews, and to contaminate the butchered whale meat that was being stockpiled and consumed in Japan, (the product of scientific research).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

• Informative
Likes chemisttree and skyshrimp
Opps, I recieved a Rule Violation for posting ChatGPT answers.

Sorry about that.

skyshrimp said:
Wiki states that ethyl butyrate is a liquid and that it's solubility in water is 150 parts. It's also called pineapple oil.

If I understand correctly, this makes it slightly soluble (6 ml to 1 litre).
https://www.solubilityofthings.com/levels-of-solubility

How do I stop it hydrolysing with water?

Will ethyl butyrate react with the malic acid? I don't want to create butyric acid as it wil smell.

I'm also planning to experiment by adding ethyl butyrate to homemade fruit wine (hooch).
It will hydrolyze under acidic and basic conditions. Try to keep your water as close to neutral as possible. Malic acid catalyzed hydrolysis is possible but I’m not sure of the kinetics. It may be OK to mix and immediately consume.

Thanks,

I'll be mixing the ethyl butyrate with maltodextrin powder to emulsify it. I'll try the apple, raspberry and cherry esters next.

It might be that you could make a 10% solution in Everclear and add it dropwise to flavor the water. Self-emulsifying.

Likes skyshrimp
Diethyl malate and malic acid could be used to produce an apple like flavor profile.

Likes skyshrimp
Vanadium 50 said:
Every chemist knows butyric acid smells like the most rotten cheese you could imagine. Source: dont choose ethyl butyrate as your target molecule for your Fisher esterification lab.

• Haha
Likes chemisttree
So you have experience with Eau de drunk baby vomit too?

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What is ethyl butyrate and why is it used to flavor water?

Ethyl butyrate is an organic compound used as a flavoring agent because of its fruity aroma, reminiscent of pineapples or fresh oranges. It is commonly added to beverages, including flavored water, to enhance their taste and appeal without adding calories or sugars.

2. Is ethyl butyrate safe for consumption?

Yes, ethyl butyrate is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) when used in accordance with good manufacturing practices. It is widely used in the food industry and is considered safe for consumption in the quantities typically used in food products, including flavored waters.

3. How is ethyl butyrate made?

Ethyl butyrate can be synthesized through an esterification reaction, which involves the chemical reaction between an alcohol (ethanol) and an acid (butyric acid). This process is commonly used in industrial settings to produce the ester at a large scale for use in various consumer products.

4. Can ethyl butyrate affect the nutritional value of water?

No, ethyl butyrate does not affect the nutritional value of water. It is used in very small amounts primarily for flavoring purposes and does not contribute significant calories, nutrients, or sugars to the water.

5. Are there any side effects of consuming ethyl butyrate in water?

For most people, consuming ethyl butyrate in the small amounts typically used in flavored water does not cause adverse effects. However, some individuals may experience allergies or sensitivities to flavoring agents, including ethyl butyrate. Those with known sensitivities should check product labels and consult with a healthcare provider if necessary.