Using Fresnel Formulae and Poynting vector problem

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Fresnel formulae to show that R+T=1 at the interface between two dielectrics in the absence of absorption, and to find expressions for the amplitudes and intensities of reflected and transmitted waves at an interface between two materials. The conservation of energy principle was used to prove R+T=1, and the concept of incident normally was explained for the second question.
tommowg

Homework Statement

I'm having a problem using the fresnel formulae for these two problems below:

1. Using Fresnel formulae and expression for the Poynting vector show that at the interface between two dielectrics in the absence of absorption R+T=1, where R – is reflectivity and T – transmissivity

2. Using Fresnel formulae, find expressions for the amplitudes and intensities of the reflected and transmitted plane electromagnetic waves incident normally at an interface between two materials with refractive indices n1 and n2

Homework Equations

I know reflectivity is given by R = j(r)/j(i) = ∣R^2∣/∣A^2∣
and transmissivity is given by T = j(t)/j(i) = (n2/n1)*(cosθt/cosθi)* ∣T^2∣/∣A^2∣

and the Poynting vector is: S = EH = 1/(v*μ0*E^2) = n*c*ϵ0*E^2

given that:

J(i) = S(i)cosθi = n1*c*ϵ0*∣A^2∣*cosθi

J(r) = S(r)cosθi = n1*c*ϵ0*∣R^2∣*cosθi

and J(t) = S(t)cosθi = n2*c*ϵ0*∣T^2∣*cosθi

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In theory, I can prove that R+T=1 but I am struggling with the fractions as they have always been my worst enemy throughout university. If someone can help me out with this please I would appreciate it. My main problem is working this using the 'conservation of energy', which I don't understand where the conservation of energy comes into place for this question, and why we need it to prove R+T=1.

For the second question I am struggling to understand it at all, when it talks about incident normally to the plane. We haven't covered waves being incident parallel or perpendicular between two materials at all.
Any help and insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your post. I can understand your struggle with the fractions, but I assure you that with some practice and understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve these problems easily.

To prove R+T=1, we need to use the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In this case, we are dealing with the energy of the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves at the interface between two dielectrics. By using the Poynting vector and the equations you have provided, we can show that the sum of the reflected and transmitted energy is equal to the incident energy, thus proving R+T=1.

For the second question, incident normally means that the wave is coming straight at the interface, perpendicular to it. In this case, the angle of incidence (θi) is 0 degrees, and the angle of refraction (θt) can be calculated using Snell's law. The equations you have provided for reflectivity and transmissivity can be used to find the amplitudes and intensities of the reflected and transmitted waves.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What are the Fresnel formulae?

The Fresnel formulae are a set of equations that describe the reflection and refraction of electromagnetic waves at the interface between two media with different refractive indices. They were first derived by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century.

2. How do the Fresnel formulae relate to the Poynting vector?

The Fresnel formulae are used to calculate the amount of reflected and transmitted energy at an interface, while the Poynting vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow. The Fresnel formulae can be used to determine the components of the Poynting vector at the interface.

3. Why are the Fresnel formulae important in optics and electromagnetism?

The Fresnel formulae are important because they allow us to predict and understand how light behaves at the interface between two media. This is crucial in various applications such as designing lenses and mirrors, studying the behavior of light in different materials, and analyzing the properties of electromagnetic waves.

4. Are the Fresnel formulae applicable to all types of waves?

No, the Fresnel formulae are specifically derived for electromagnetic waves and are not applicable to other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. However, similar principles can be applied to derive formulae for other types of waves at interfaces between different media.

5. Can the Fresnel formulae be simplified for specific cases?

Yes, the Fresnel formulae can be simplified for specific cases, such as when the incident light is perpendicular or parallel to the interface, or when the two media have similar refractive indices. These simplified formulae are commonly used in practical applications for ease of calculation.