Using inverses to solve systems of equations

In summary, the use of ##I## in the equation ##X = IX## comes from the definition of the identity matrix in matrix multiplication, where the identity matrix multiplied by any matrix will result in the same matrix. It is analogous to the equation ##b = 1 \cdot b## for ordinary numbers.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682305758972.png

Can someone please tell me where they got ##X = IX## from?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definition of ##I##. It is the one in matrix multiplication.
$$
\begin{pmatrix}x_{11}&\ldots &x_{1n}\\ \vdots&&\vdots \\x_{n1}&\ldots &x_{nn}\end{pmatrix} \cdot \underbrace{\begin{pmatrix}1&0&\ldots&0&0\\ 0&1&\ldots&0&0 \\ \vdots&\vdots&\ddots&\vdots&\vdots \\
0&0&\ldots&0&1 \end{pmatrix}}_{=I}=\begin{pmatrix}x_{11}&\ldots &x_{1n}\\ \vdots&&\vdots \\x_{n1}&\ldots &x_{nn}\end{pmatrix}
$$

Then they used ##A^{-1} A= I## and the associativity law: ##(I\cdot X)=((A^{-1}A)X)=(A^{-1}(AX))=A^{-1}B.##

Likes Grelbr42, YouAreAwesome, MatinSAR and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
From the definition of ##I##. It is the one in matrix multiplication.
$$
\begin{pmatrix}x_{11}&\ldots &x_{1n}\\ \vdots&&\vdots \\x_{n1}&\ldots &x_{nn}\end{pmatrix} \cdot \underbrace{\begin{pmatrix}1&0&\ldots&0&0\\ 0&1&\ldots&0&0 \\ \vdots&\vdots&\ddots&\vdots&\vdots \\
0&0&\ldots&0&1 \end{pmatrix}}_{=I}=\begin{pmatrix}x_{11}&\ldots &x_{1n}\\ \vdots&&\vdots \\x_{n1}&\ldots &x_{nn}\end{pmatrix}
$$

Then they used ##A^{-1} A= I## and the associativity law: ##(I\cdot X)=((A^{-1}A)X)=(A^{-1}(AX))=A^{-1}B.##
Thank you for your help @fresh_42! I see now.

Likes YouAreAwesome
ChiralSuperfields said:
This should be obvious. Based on the initial post, X is a column vector. If X consists of n elements, multiplication of X by an n x n identity matrix ##I_n## produces exactly the same vector X. This is analogous to writing ##b = 1 \cdot b## for ordinary numbers.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this,
View attachment 325404

Many thanks!
The ##I## should trigger the phrase "##I##dentity Matrix". It was the reason ##I## was chosen rather than some other letter in the first place.

Likes fresh_42 and ChiralSuperfields

What is the purpose of using inverses to solve systems of equations?

The purpose of using inverses is to find the solution to a system of equations by using the inverse of the coefficient matrix. This allows us to solve for the variables in the system without having to use traditional methods like substitution or elimination.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you must first determine if the matrix is invertible. If the determinant of the matrix is non-zero, then it is invertible. Next, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination or the adjugate matrix to find the inverse. Once you have the inverse, you can use it to solve the system of equations.

Can you use inverses to solve any system of equations?

No, not all systems of equations can be solved using inverses. The system must have the same number of equations as variables, and the coefficient matrix must be invertible. If these conditions are not met, then you cannot use inverses to solve the system.

What are the advantages of using inverses to solve systems of equations?

Using inverses can be more efficient and accurate than traditional methods like substitution or elimination. It also allows us to solve systems of equations with more variables, as long as the coefficient matrix is invertible. Additionally, using inverses can help us understand the relationships between the variables in the system.

Are there any limitations to using inverses to solve systems of equations?

One limitation is that the coefficient matrix must be invertible, which means that the determinant cannot be zero. Additionally, using inverses may not always be the most practical method for solving systems of equations, especially for larger systems. It is important to consider the complexity of the system and the availability of the inverse before using this method.