Using Kirchoff rule to find Voltage drop and current, in a complex circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of circuit analysis and the use of Kirchoff's laws to solve problems. The circuit in question has multiple resistors and ideal voltage sources, and the goal is to calculate the voltage drop and current in each element. After some attempts at writing the equations, it is suggested to use the simplest loops in the circuit to solve for the currents, and then calculate the voltage drop across each component using Ohm's law.
immyrichie

Homework Statement

Measure the Voltage drop and current in all element of the circuit, given the figure which has the following Resistance and its Ideal emfs;

R1=20ohms, R2=70ohms, R3=55ohms, R4=45ohms, R5=30ohms, R6=20ohms, R7=70ohms, E1=15v, E2=5v, E3=5v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

please I need help as this is my first time coming across the Kirchoff law on a problem, i tried writing the follow after I read some books but it seems confusing if am correct thus i can't proceed further

I1+13=I2
I2+15=14+16

E3=I6R6+I5
E2=I3R3+I2R2+I4R4

Attachments

• 100_1327.jpg
    100_1327.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi immyrichie! ! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
immyrichie said:
I1+13=I2
I2+15=14+16

fine :smile:
E3=I6R6+I5
E2=I3R3+I2R2+I4R4

noooo :redface:

the first one should be just E3 = I6R6

you need the voltage drop across each component: since there's no component in the I5 section, it doesn't appear (and you're only allowed IR combinations anyway, not an I on its own :wink:)

in the second one, you've left out I3R7

(and of course there's two more KVL loops to do)

It might be worthwhile to consider given that the voltage sources are all ideal (no internal resistance), that E3 fixes the voltage across R4 and across R6. Thus via Ohm's law, the currents through both resistors are also fixed. This means that R4 and R6 are "solved" for their voltages and currents.

It also means that R4 and R6 play no further role in the circuits analysis and can be ignored (you can actually remove them from the circuit without affecting anything else). This is so because again, E3 is completely determining the voltage across the R4/R6/E3 combination, and thus only E3 will appear in any KVL equation that includes them as a "component". This leaves you with just two KVL loops to handle.

thanks so much for reply, since I'm now left with two loop I tried this out for the loops;

E2=I3R3+I2R2+I4R4+I3R7;
E1= I1R1-I2R2-I4R4-I3R5.

how well is this?

immyrichie said:
thanks so much for reply, since I'm now left with two loop I tried this out for the loops;

E2=I3R3+I2R2+I4R4+I3R7;
E1= I1R1-I2R2-I4R4-I3R5.

how well is this?
The first one looks OK.

The second one has errors.
The current through R5 is I1.
You have the wrong signs on I2R2 & I4R4 & what should be I1R5.​

Don't forget: As gneill pointed out, I4R4 = E3 = 5V.

hi immyrichie! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

just to add to what SammyS :smile: says …

you can take any loop, so the simplest ones would be the ones with the fewest Rs …

ie the loop containing E1 R2 E3 and R5, and the loop containing E2 R3 R2 E3 and R7 :wink:

hah, thanks so much guys. after these equation, what's next?

put all the E and R numbers in, and solve for all the Is

then the voltage drop across each component is IR :wink:

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. This means that the voltage drop across all elements in a circuit must add up to the voltage applied to the circuit.

2. How do you apply KVL to find voltage drop in a complex circuit?

To apply KVL, you must first identify all the loops in the circuit. Then, choose a direction for the current flow in each loop and assign a positive or negative sign to the voltage drop across each component based on the chosen direction. Finally, write an equation using KVL for each loop and solve the system of equations to find the voltage drop across each component.

3. What is Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal to zero. This means that the amount of current flowing into a node must be equal to the amount of current flowing out of the node.

4. How do you apply KCL to find current in a complex circuit?

To apply KCL, you must first identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, write an equation using KCL for each node and solve the system of equations to find the current at each node. It is important to note that the direction of the current may be different for each equation, but the magnitude must be the same.

5. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to any circuit, whether it is a simple or complex circuit. These laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis and can be used to solve for voltage drops and currents in any type of circuit.