Voltage drop between two points

In summary, to determine the voltage drop between point A and B in this circuit, you need to use KVL to find the current and then apply Ohm's law (V=IR) using the total resistance along the path between the two points. The correct value for the resistor would be R1 + R2, as the current flows in that direction from A to B. Alternatively, you could also go in the opposite direction and sum the potential changes along the way.
terryds

Homework Statement

xzmxqxsnligtgjjl.png

The question is: What's the voltage drop between point A and B ?? (Suppose that E2 > E1)2. The attempt at a solution

First, I need to solve the current flowing in this circuit, which can be done using KVL.
The current flowing is ##\frac{E_2-E_1}{R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4}## (which is clockwise in direction because E2 is bigger than E1)

But,I get confused in determining voltage drop between point A and B
I know that the formula is V = IR
But, I'm confused about the value of the resistor..

Is it R1 + R2 (since from point A to B the current flows from R1 to R2) ?
Or, should the resistor be the parallel series of R1-R2 and R3-R4 that makes an imaginary bridge between A and B ??

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
But,I get confused in determining voltage drop between point A and B
I know that the formula is V = IR
But, I'm confused about the value of the resistor..

Is it R1 + R2 (since from point A to B the current flows from R1 to R2) ?
Or, should the resistor be the parallel series of R1-R2 and R3-R4 that makes an imaginary bridge between A and B ??
Your first thought was correct. You determine the potential between two points by taking a "KVL walk" along a path that leads from one point to the other.

You could also have gone the other way around the loop (counterclockwise) from A to B, summing the potential changes along the way. In that case you would be "walking" against the current, so you'd see potential rises as you cross the resistors rather than drops.

Likes terryds

1. What causes voltage drop between two points?

The main cause of voltage drop between two points is resistance in the electrical circuit. As current flows through a wire or component, it encounters resistance which results in a decrease in voltage. The longer the distance between the two points, the higher the resistance and therefore, the greater the voltage drop.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V = I x R. In practice, voltage drop is also affected by the type of material used, temperature, and other factors, so it's important to consult tables or use a voltage drop calculator for accurate results.

3. What is an acceptable amount of voltage drop?

The amount of voltage drop that is considered acceptable varies depending on the specific application. In general, a voltage drop of 3% or less is considered acceptable for most residential and commercial wiring. However, for sensitive equipment or long distance power transmission, even a small voltage drop can have significant effects and therefore, a lower voltage drop may be required.

4. How can voltage drop be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce voltage drop between two points. One way is to use larger gauge wires with lower resistance. Another option is to shorten the distance between the two points. Additionally, using materials with lower resistance such as copper instead of aluminum can also help reduce voltage drop. Properly sizing the circuit and minimizing the number of connections can also help reduce voltage drop.

5. Why is voltage drop important?

Voltage drop is important because it can affect the performance and safety of an electrical circuit. Excessive voltage drop can cause appliances and equipment to malfunction or even damage them. It can also lead to overheating and fire hazards. Properly managing voltage drop is crucial for ensuring the efficiency and reliability of electrical systems.