Using least square to find the perfect fit of a figure

In summary, the speaker is working on an engineering project and has been instructed by their professor to play with graphs and find something interesting about them. They are specifically looking to form a better fit for "figure 2b" and understand why a better fit was not chosen. However, the speaker is struggling with implementing least squares in this situation and is seeking help. A suggestion is made to try using a shifted arctan, logistic function, or error function, possibly due to discrepancies in the data points.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Hello all,

So I am working on my engineering project, and my professor told us to play with the graphs,and try to find something interesting about them.

So what I want to do is form a better fit for the figure below. " figure 2b" , and find out why the choose not to do a better fit.
However I am given all the constants " d1,d2,ca2+ " so I am not sure how to implement least squares in this situation.

Help would be appreciated

5cj8le.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Those data points look ill, or there are error bars missing. I would try something like a (shifted) arctan, a logistic function or the error function.

1. What is the purpose of using least square to find the perfect fit of a figure?

The purpose of using least square is to find the best possible mathematical model that fits a given set of data points. This is achieved by minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from the model.

2. How does least square method work?

The least square method works by calculating the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from a mathematical model. The model is then adjusted iteratively until the sum of the squared differences is minimized, resulting in the best fit for the data.

3. What types of data can be fitted using least square?

Least square can be used to fit a wide range of data, including linear, polynomial, exponential, and logarithmic functions. It can also be used for both continuous and discrete data sets.

4. What are the advantages of using least square to find the perfect fit?

One advantage of using least square is that it provides a systematic and objective approach to finding the best fit for a given set of data points. It also allows for the identification of outliers and the evaluation of the goodness of fit for different models.

5. Are there any limitations to using least square for finding the perfect fit?

While least square is a powerful tool for fitting data, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the data is normally distributed and that there is a linear relationship between the variables. Additionally, it may not work well for data sets with a large number of variables or when the data is highly skewed.