Using Linear Interpolation to Find Interest

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of linear interpolation method for calculating NPW and how it differs when applied to the rate directly or to the present value. The formula for finding the root using linear interpolation is also provided.
ainster31

Homework Statement

F96Lk18.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

tpXoSpS.png

I understand how they calculated NPW but how did they use the linear interpolation method?

Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

F96Lk18.png

Homework Equations

tpXoSpS.png

I understand how they calculated NPW but how did they use the linear interpolation method?

I have never before seen their version of the linear interpolation method, but it does work. In linear interpolation we fit a linear function ##f = a + bx## through two points ##(x_1,f_1)## and ##(x_2,f_2)##:
[tex] f(x) = f_1 + \frac{f_2-f_1}{x_2-x_1} (x-x_1)[/tex]
This gives us the value of ##x_0##, the root of ##f(x) = 0,## as follows:
[tex] x_0 = \frac{f_2 x_1 - f_1 x_2}{f_2 - f_1}[/tex]
It follows (doing a lot of algebraic simplification) that
[tex] \frac{x_0 - x_1}{x_2-x_0} = -\frac{f_1}{f_2} [/tex]
In other words, we can find ##x_0## by solving the equation
[tex] \frac{x - x_1}{x_2-x} = -\frac{f_1}{f_2} [/tex]
The solution is ##x = x_0##. That is not how I would do it, but it is correct.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
That is not how I would do it, but it is correct.

How would you do it? Just set f(x)=0 and solve for x?

ainster31 said:
How would you do it? Just set f(x)=0 and solve for x?

I already gave you the formula I would use:
and I already explained how I got it.

Ray Vickson said:
I already gave you the formula I would use:
and I already explained how I got it.

You never explicitly said that you would use that formula so I didn't realize.

Thanks. I get it now.

I would use the following:

[tex]\frac{x-10}{20-10}=\frac{0-764}{-438-764}[/tex]

p.s. Check to see how closely 16.36% comes to making the Net present value zero.

Chet

ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

F96Lk18.png

Homework Equations

tpXoSpS.png

Just so you know: there is a difference between using linear interpolation on ##r## directly, and using linear interpolation on ##x = 1/(1+r)##. The present value is a polynomial in ##x##, but not in ##r##. Linear interpolation on ##x## gives ##x_0 \approx .8609359558##, giving ##r_0 \approx .1615265843##, or about 16.15%. Which answer is closer? Well, the exact solution is ##r = .1594684085##, or about 15.95%. So, in this case at least, interpolation on ##x## produces slightly better results.

1. What is linear interpolation and how is it used to find interest?

Linear interpolation is a mathematical technique used to estimate values between two known data points. In the context of finding interest, linear interpolation can be used to estimate the interest rate between two known interest rates or to find the interest amount for a given investment amount.

2. How does linear interpolation work?

Linear interpolation works by using the slope of a straight line to estimate values between two known points. The formula for linear interpolation is: y = y1 + (x - x1)(y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where x and y represent the unknown values between the known points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2).

3. In what situations would linear interpolation be useful for finding interest?

Linear interpolation can be useful for finding interest in situations where there is a limited amount of data available. For example, if you have two data points for interest rates and need to estimate the interest rate for a specific time period in between, linear interpolation can be used. It can also be useful for estimating interest on investments with varying interest rates over time.

4. What are the limitations of using linear interpolation to find interest?

One limitation of using linear interpolation to find interest is that it assumes a linear relationship between the two known data points. In reality, interest rates may not always follow a linear trend. Additionally, linear interpolation may not accurately estimate interest for time periods that are far from the known data points.

5. Are there any other methods for finding interest besides linear interpolation?

Yes, there are other methods for finding interest, such as using exponential or logarithmic equations to model interest rates over time. These methods may be more accurate in certain situations, but they also require more data points and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.