Using Mathcad to Solve a Complex Math Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Mathcad to solve a problem involving an attractor and finding a region where points cannot escape. The speaker is unsure about how to plot the initial transient and has questions about the concept of an attractor. The other person explains that an attractor is the limit of points in phase space and the region of attraction is where all solutions will converge. They suggest finding a good textbook for more information.
baltimorebest

Homework Statement

I attached my problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to use Mathcad to solve this problem using a computer. I have the problem graphed, but I am unsure what it means by " do not plot the initial transient."

For part b, I have several questions. I don't know how to answer any of those questions. I don't know what an attractor is, or how to tell if there is a region where points cannot escape. I tried to look it up, and couldn't figure it out. Like I said, I have the graphs plotted, so I can refer to those if anyone helps me. Thank you.

Attachments

• Henon.jpg
    Henon.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
baltimorebest said:
I am unsure what it means by " do not plot the initial transient."

If the sequence of points is (xi,yi) for i = 0, 1, ..., with (x0,y0) being the initial state, it simply means that you should not plot the points until the sequence has converged sufficiently close to the attractor so that it will not "show up" on the plot. This of course begs the question of how many points to leave out before start plotting. As a practical method you can select a k and plot the sequence (xi,yi) for i > k, and then increase k in case the transient still shows up on the plot.

For part b, I have several questions. I don't know how to answer any of those questions. I don't know what an attractor is, or how to tell if there is a region where points cannot escape. I tried to look it up, and couldn't figure it out. Like I said, I have the graphs plotted, so I can refer to those if anyone helps me. Thank you.

In popular terms, an attractor is the points in phase space that form the "limit" as you plot trajectories for the system near that attractor. An attractor can be a point, a simple closed curve, or like for chaotic systems, a complicated looking fractal structure. The region around the attractor from which all solutions will converge on the attractor is call the region of attraction for the attractor.

You probably need to find a good textbook that explains these concepts in details suited for your level. Perhaps your teacher for this problem can recommend you one, or, if you specify your background, people here will most likely be able to offer some good references.

1. How do I import my complex math problem into Mathcad?

You can import your math problem by either typing it directly into Mathcad or by copying and pasting it from another document.

2. Can Mathcad solve equations with multiple variables and unknowns?

Yes, Mathcad has the capability to solve equations with multiple variables and unknowns using its built-in solver function.

3. Does Mathcad provide step-by-step solutions to complex math problems?

Yes, Mathcad has a feature called "Show Steps" that allows you to see the step-by-step solution to your complex math problem.

4. Can I plot graphs and visualize my math problem in Mathcad?

Yes, Mathcad has a plotting feature that allows you to graph and visualize your math problem. You can also customize the appearance of your graphs.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use Mathcad for solving complex math problems?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, user guides, and forums available to help you learn how to use Mathcad effectively for solving complex math problems. You can also refer to Mathcad's built-in help feature for guidance.