Using multiple calculus books at the same time......

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using multiple books to learn concepts, specifically in the context of studying rigorous calculus. The speakers agree that using different books can be beneficial, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the material and provides different perspectives. They also mention the importance of managing stress while studying.
Alpharup
Many people advise that we should learn concepts from only one book as using too many books lead to confusion. I have Spivak, Apostol and Kuratowski for Rigorous calculus. When I first read Apostol, I had a hard time understanding. After doing some problems in Spivak, I find the same in apostol easy. For example, Apostol first introduces integration but I could not follow the proof part before. Now, able to read and do proofs, I am able to follow Apostol.
My primary aim is to solve Spivak and read Apostol or other books just for insight. Will such an approach be useful? I feel using different books give multi-intuitive feel.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you can and must study from different books. This works very good, if one book has harder exercises that help grasp concepts better, if the author perspective in one book is not the one to give you deep understanding of a concept, so you have to look into another book and also in a more straightforward complimentary fashion between two books: in parallel. If you have a good grasp of a concept from some book, then you go on. In general, you can use educational sources in parallel, in every conceivable way that you judge to be to your advantage. There is no real reason for confusion. The only reason that causes confusion, is to be under stress and this is something you must always fight.

Likes Alpharup

1. Can I use multiple calculus books at the same time?

Yes, you can use multiple calculus books at the same time. In fact, using multiple books can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject. However, it is important to use books that cover similar topics and have consistent notation to avoid confusion.

2. How do I choose which calculus books to use?

When choosing calculus books to use, consider the content, level of difficulty, and style of explanation. It is recommended to consult with a professor or experienced mathematician for recommendations on high-quality books.

3. Is it necessary to use multiple calculus books?

No, it is not necessary to use multiple calculus books. Some students may find success using just one book. However, using multiple books can provide different perspectives and explanations, leading to a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. How do I effectively use multiple calculus books?

To effectively use multiple calculus books, it is important to have a clear understanding of your learning goals and to have a good grasp of the basics before moving on to more advanced topics. It can also be helpful to make notes and comparisons between different books to better understand the material.

5. Can using multiple calculus books improve my grades?

Using multiple calculus books can potentially improve your grades if done effectively. By utilizing different resources, you may gain a better understanding of the material and be able to approach problems from different angles. However, it ultimately depends on your dedication and effort in studying and practicing the material.