Using NVA to Solve for i in Polar Form | Complex Numbers Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses using nodal analysis (NVA) to solve for the unknown variable i. The equations are set up using voltage, but it is suggested to use all currents going out or in for simplicity. The equations are solved using a matrix, and the final answer for the node voltages are V2=7.317∠-95.6° and V3=4.929∠-64.61°. It is also noted that a mistake was made in the calculations, as the imaginary unit i was used instead of j.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Use NVA to solve for ##i##.
Enter your answer in polar form with the angle in degrees.
NVA Problem.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My nodes are as follows: ##V_1## on the left middle junction, ##V_2## is the junction in the very center, and ##V_3## is the junction on the middle right, just above the capacitor.

I set up ##V_2## and ##V_3## as a supernode and found 3 equations:
##i=\frac{V_1-V_2}{16}##
##16i=V_1-V_2##
##V_2+16i=V_1##

##1). V_2+0V_3+16i=2∠0°##

Supernode:
##-i+\frac{V_2}{16}-\frac{i}{8}+\frac{V_3}{-8j}=0##
##-16i+V_2-2i-\frac{2V_3}{j}=0##

##2.) V_2-\frac{2V_3}{j}-18i=0##

Across the source in the supernode:
##V_3-V_2 = 4∠45°##

##3.) -V_2+V_3+0i=4∠45°##

That's 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Solving for ##i## gives me ##0.486∠-20.45°##, which isn't correct.

Attachments

• NVA Problem.jpg
    NVA Problem.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 753
Physics news on Phys.org
To use NVA (also known as nodal analysis) you want to express everything as a bunch of KCLs.

Your equations are using voltage, which is complicating things (KVLs). I personally find it easier to do all current going out or current going in. mixing the two can get confusing.

There are two unknown voltages, v2 and v3. v1 is just 2 volts.

You need one equation (KCL) at your super-node, with the Currents going out (or in)
One equation relating V2 and V3 (you already have that)
One equation relating V2 and i (you already mentioned V2+16i=V1)

Last edited:
Ahhh i see what you did, you initially did nodal analysis, but then converted the equations the a solvable format.
disregard my previous post.

Your equations look correct. I got different answers wiht the same equations, it is possible you made a mistake with solving your equations?

donpacino said:
Your equations look correct. I got different answers wiht the same equations, it is possible you made a mistake with solving your equations?

It's always possible, but I've put these numbers into my calculator to solve at least a dozen times and I can't find where I might have gone wrong (and it hasn't failed to correctly solve a problem yet. At least when I've entered everything in correctly).

What are you getting for your node voltages?
are you using radians instead of degrees (or vice versa)

donpacino said:
What are you getting for your node voltages?
are you using radians instead of degrees (or vice versa)
I'm getting:
##V_2=7.317∠-95.6°##
##V_3=4.929∠-64.61°##
I'm in degrees like the problem tells me to be in.

ok, that's different than I am getting, are you solving it using a matrix?

the way I solved it, I used X=A^-1 * B

from our system of equations
A= [ 1 0 16 ; 1 0+2j -18 ; -1 1 0 ]

B = [2 0 2.82+2.82j]

Do you have anything different?

I figured it out. I was putting ##16i## instead of ##16## into my calculator for the 1st equation, thinking that ##i## was the imaginary unit instead of ##j##. :mad:

Thanks for your help, donpacino. I don't think I would have seen that had you not had +16 in your matrix.

Likes donpacino
Drakkith said:
I figured it out. I was putting ##16i## instead of ##16## into my calculator for the 1st equation, thinking that ##i## was the imaginary unit instead of ##j##. :mad:

Thanks for your help, donpacino. I don't think I would have seen that had you not had +16 in your matrix.
no Problem. happens to the best of us!

1. What are complex numbers and why are they important in NVA?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. They are important in NVA because they allow for the representation of both real and imaginary values, which is necessary for many mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How are complex numbers used in NVA?

Complex numbers are used in NVA to solve problems involving electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and other areas of science and engineering. They can also be used to represent data in a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane, which allows for a better understanding of the relationships between different variables.

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be expressed on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers. A complex number, on the other hand, includes both a real part and an imaginary part. While real numbers are used to represent quantities like distance and time, complex numbers are used to represent things like electrical impedance and quantum states.

4. How are complex numbers added and multiplied in NVA?

To add two complex numbers, you simply add the real parts together and the imaginary parts together. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 + 4i) = (3 + 1) + (2 + 4)i = 4 + 6i. To multiply two complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like multiplying binomials. For example, (3 + 2i)(1 + 4i) = 3 + 12i + 2i + 8i^2 = (3 - 8) + (12 + 2)i = -5 + 14i.

5. How can I graph complex numbers in NVA?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a two-dimensional plane known as the complex plane. The x-axis represents the real part of the complex number, while the y-axis represents the imaginary part. The origin of the plane (0,0) represents the complex number 0, and the unit circle (a circle with a radius of 1) is often used to visualize complex numbers with a magnitude of 1. By plotting complex numbers on the complex plane, you can easily see their relationships and perform operations on them visually.