Using polar coordinates to describe rose petals

In summary: There are two ways you can think about it. Consider the function ##r = 6\cos{(3\theta)}##. If we consider some angle ##\theta_0## where ##r(\theta_0) = r_0##, then we see that$$r \left(\theta_0 + \frac{2\pi}{3} \right) = 6\cos{\left(3(\theta_0 + \frac{2\pi}{3})\right)} = 6\cos{(3\theta_0 + 2\pi)} = 6\cos{(3\theta_0)} = r(\theta_0) = r_0$$
Worn_Out_Tools
I encountered a question which asked me to describe the rose petal sketched below in polar coordinates. The complete answer is
R = {(r, θ): 0 ≤ r ≤ 6 cos(3θ), 0 ≤ θ ≤ π}. That makes sense to me for the right petal. What about the other two on the left?

Rose petal.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Worn_Out_Tools said:
I encountered a question which asked me to describe the rose petal sketched below in polar coordinates. The complete answer is
R = {(r, θ): 0 ≤ r ≤ 6 cos(3θ), 0 ≤ θ ≤ π}. That makes sense to me for the right petal. What about the other two on the left?

View attachment 267067
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is different about the other two petals in polar coordinates?

Likes etotheipi
##r(\theta + \frac{2\pi}{3}) = r(\theta)## since ##r## is periodic at ##\frac{2\pi}{3}##, so once you have drawn one petal you can insert the rest

Likes berkeman
etotheipi said:
##r(\theta + \frac{2\pi}{3}) = r(\theta)## since ##r## is periodic at ##\frac{2\pi}{3}##, so once you have drawn one petal you can insert the rest
Wait, I don’t understand, how’d you determine that?

Worn_Out_Tools said:
Wait, I don’t understand, how’d you determine that?
There are two ways you can think about it. Consider the function ##r = 6\cos{(3\theta)}##. If we consider some angle ##\theta_0## where ##r(\theta_0) = r_0##, then we see that$$r \left(\theta_0 + \frac{2\pi}{3} \right) = 6\cos{\left(3(\theta_0 + \frac{2\pi}{3})\right)} = 6\cos{(3\theta_0 + 2\pi)} = 6\cos{(3\theta_0)} = r(\theta_0) = r_0$$which means that both ##\theta_0## and ##\theta_0 + \frac{2\pi}{3}## correspond to equal radial coordinates. The other way to look at it is what I think @berkeman was suggesting, i.e. consider transforming the original function by a constant translation,$$r_2(\theta) := r(\theta + \frac{2\pi}{3})$$so ##r_2## is shifted left of ##r## by the amount ##\Delta \theta = -\frac{2\pi}{3}##. But the periods of both ##r## and ##r_2## are equal to ##\frac{2\pi}{3}##, so we've just shifted the waveform left an entire period. Since ##r## and ##r_2## are then equal everywhere, we have$$r(\theta) = r_2(\theta) = r(\theta + \frac{2\pi}{3})$$And finally, what amounts to a horizontal shift in ##r## vs ##\theta## on Cartesian axes corresponds to a rotation in polar coordinates!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a mathematical system used to describe the position of a point in a two-dimensional space. They use a distance from the origin (r) and an angle (θ) to locate a point.

2. How are polar coordinates used to describe rose petals?

Polar coordinates can be used to describe the shape of a rose petal by plotting points along the polar graph. The distance from the origin (r) represents the length of the petal, while the angle (θ) determines the direction and curvature of the petal.

3. What is the equation for a rose petal in polar coordinates?

The equation for a rose petal in polar coordinates is r = a + bcos(nθ), where a and b are constants that determine the size and shape of the petal, and n is the number of petals.

4. How do polar coordinates help us understand the symmetry of a rose petal?

Polar coordinates allow us to easily see the symmetry of a rose petal by showing how the petal is symmetric about the origin. This is because the distance from the origin (r) and the angle (θ) are mirrored on either side of the petal's axis of symmetry.

5. Can polar coordinates be used to describe other natural shapes besides rose petals?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to describe a variety of natural shapes, such as flower petals, shells, and spiral galaxies. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to describe circular and rotational motion.