Using Slackware in College: Is it a Good Idea?

• Thread starter Sjoerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, if you are going to University of Texas for Engineering, you should probably stick with Slackware Linux. However, if you ever need to run some Windows programs, you can add a Windows partition and dual boot.
Sjoerd
I would like to start off saying that I am not sure if I should be posting this question here.

I have used Slackware Linux as my main Operating System since I was 10, and I know my way around the system much better than any other; however, I will be attending University of Texas for Engineering this upcoming fall, and I am not sure if I should keep Slackware or switch to Windows. Although I could easily use Wine or a Virtual Box, I don't know if that would hinder performance in college, and the last thing I want to be is a burden to partners in, or out, of class. I feel that using most distributions of GNU/Linux would be fine, but, for the sake of a mind at ease, I feel getting others opinions would help. So, is keeping Linux fine, or should I move to Windows?

Again, I am very sorry if I posted this question in the wrong section.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are probably some windows only app.s that you will have to run in engineering (e.g. CAD programs). My guess is that you will have access to these 24/7 on computers in school labs, and that this is probably where you'll be expected to do most of your work. However, it would probably also be nice to be able to run these programs on your own box too. I would suggest dual-booting, with [pick your *nix here] as your main os, and windows as secondary to run when needed.

I have used Linux exclusively in college and it's always been a boon rather than any kind of problem. It will of course depend on the nature of your professors and the department whether you will ever run into an instance where you need or want to install some proprietary windows software.

My advice is that, unless you really want to learn about the Windows system itself, you should stick with Slackware, or whatever works best for you. If later on you decide there are a Windows programs you want to run natively, you can add a Windows partition then.

It should be pretty easy to set up a dual boot system for your school pc. You could probably wait and see what you may be using because as an experienced Linux user you shouldn't have any problem determining whether you can use the software on your machine. Some CAD has a Linux dist. so you may even find that you don't have to change.

Dual boot is the way to go. Slackware comes with lilo by default and it can detect windows pretty much automatically.

lostinxlation said:
Dual boot is the way to go. Slackware comes with lilo by default and it can detect windows pretty much automatically.

I'm leaning towards dual boot, and I'll just store everything I need to transfer on an external hard drive. Thank you all for your help in pushing me this way.

Related to Using Slackware in College: Is it a Good Idea?

1. Is Slackware a user-friendly operating system for college students?

While Slackware may have a reputation for being more suited for advanced users, it can still be a great option for college students. With a little bit of effort and patience, the learning curve can be overcome and students can benefit from the stability and customization options that Slackware offers.

2. Can Slackware be used for college coursework and assignments?

Yes, Slackware is a fully functional operating system that can be used for all types of college coursework and assignments. Many popular software programs, such as LibreOffice and GIMP, are available for Slackware and can easily be installed.

3. Is Slackware compatible with commonly used software and devices?

Slackware is compatible with most commonly used software and devices. However, it may require some additional configuration or installation of necessary drivers. It is always recommended to check for compatibility before making a switch to any new operating system.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Slackware in college?

One potential drawback of using Slackware in college is the lack of official technical support. Since it is a community-driven operating system, it may be more difficult to find immediate help for any issues that arise. However, there are many user forums and communities dedicated to helping Slackware users.

5. Can Slackware be a good option for computer science or programming students?

Yes, Slackware can be a great option for computer science or programming students. Its minimalistic design and customizable features make it a popular choice among developers. Additionally, Slackware has a large collection of programming tools and libraries readily available for installation.