Using SR & Curved Coordinates for Time Calculation

In summary: The interval is$$ds^2=-c^2\,d\tau^2= c^2\,dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2.$$For motion in one dimension,$$d\tau^2=dt^2\left(1-v(t)^2/c^2\right).$$Integrating,$$\tau=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt\frac{1}{\gamma}=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}dt\sqrt{1-v(t)^2/c^2}.$$In summary, to calculate the proper time in an accelerated frame of reference, you can
sqljunkey
Someone told me that I don't need the whole mechanics of GR to be able to calculate the proper time in an accelerated frame of reference. I can just use SR but with curved coordinates and then integrate for time. But he didn't give me a reference where I could find the formula to do this. How do you use Lorentz transformation with curved coordinates? Is this true? Anyone has a reference for it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sqljunkey said:
Someone told me that I don't need the whole mechanics of GR to be able to calculate the proper time in an accelerated frame of reference. I can just use SR but with curved coordinates and then integrate for time. But he didn't give me a reference where I could find the formula to do this.
You can use equation 2 here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_time

You need to have ##ds^2## which is known as the arc length, as well P, both in terms of the chosen coordinates.

Likes vanhees71
sqljunkey said:
How do you use Lorentz transformation with curved coordinates?
You don't. The Lorentz transformation is, by definition, a transformation between inertial frames. However, you do not even need curvilinear coordinates to compute proper times of accelerated observers. You can just apply
$$
\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{1 - v(t)^2/c^2}\, dt.
$$
However, you can of course define a coordinate system where your accelerated observer is at rest, but you do not need to.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
In case Orodruin's answer isn't clear, he is noting that if your velocity in some inertial coordinate system is ##v## at coordinate time ##t## then in the elementary time from ##t## to ##t+dt## your clock advances ##d\tau=dt/\gamma##, then integrating. Or you can start from the expression for the interval and get the same result.

Likes vanhees71

1. How do SR (Special Relativity) and curved coordinates relate to time calculation?

SR is a theory that explains how time and space are relative to an observer's frame of reference. Curved coordinates are a mathematical tool used to describe the geometry of spacetime in general relativity. Together, these concepts help us to accurately calculate time in different situations, such as near massive objects or at high speeds.

2. Can SR and curved coordinates be used for all types of time calculation?

Yes, SR and curved coordinates can be applied to various scenarios, such as calculating the time dilation of an object moving at high speeds or the gravitational time dilation near a massive object. However, they may not be applicable in situations where quantum mechanics is involved.

3. What is the significance of using SR and curved coordinates for time calculation?

SR and curved coordinates are essential for accurately calculating time in scenarios that involve high speeds or strong gravitational fields. Without taking into account the effects of relativity and curved spacetime, our calculations would not match with real-world observations and could lead to incorrect conclusions.

4. How do scientists use SR and curved coordinates in their research?

Scientists use SR and curved coordinates in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics, to make precise calculations and predictions. For example, in astrophysics, these concepts are crucial for understanding the behavior of objects in extreme environments, such as black holes.

5. Are there any limitations to using SR and curved coordinates for time calculation?

While SR and curved coordinates are incredibly accurate in most cases, they do have limitations. For instance, they do not account for quantum mechanics, and thus, cannot be used to calculate time on a microscopic scale. Additionally, they may not be applicable in scenarios where the effects of gravity are negligible.