Using STdev wrong or apparatus error?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of calculating the standard error for a set of measurements of the radius of a capillary tube. One person suggests using the standard deviation of the measurements divided by the square root of n-1, while the other suggests propagating the apparatus error to determine the error on the mean. After examining the values, it is determined that the standard deviation procedure is correct and the large error is likely due to variations in the actual radius along the capillary. It is recommended to measure the two quantities (Left and Right) directly and then propagate the error to calculate the radius. Additionally, it is suggested to trim the significant figures in the reported values due to the accuracy of the measurements.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

I have 3 (n) measurements of the radius of a capillary tube, and I'm wondering whether I should take the STDev of these values and then divide by sqrt(n-1) to obtain a standard error, and use this as my error on the mean...
or
Do I propagate the apparatus error through and use that as my error on the mean?

Left ------------ Right----------Adj. Diam----Radius
0.062700 ---- 0.061140 ---- 0.00156 ---- 0.00078
0.065000 ---- 0.062330 ---- 0.00267 ---- 0.00134
0.064610 ---- 0.063100 ---- 0.00151 ---- 0.00076

Mean-------St. dev--------St error
0.00096----0.000328-----0.000232
=24.23513% error!

When using the SE, my error propagates through to give ~94% error on the value I wish to obtain. When using the apparatus error, it's only 5.16%; and I'm sure the rest of my spreadsheet is correct. So, I'm not sure what I'm doing in this regard. Any guidance would be appreciated... Seems simple, I know; just doesn't fit. I was expecting an SE on my mean of around 5%...

Homework Equations

Using excel, so =STDEV(-,-) ; where I input the 3 values for my radii
SE = STDEV / sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Above... Sorry, realized my little table copy/paste didn't come out well [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The STDEV procedure you have used is correct; there is a rather large standard deviation on your radius values. Unless this is simply a measurement error, it looks as if your capillary radius might actually be varying along the capillary. In that case, using the apparatus error ignores a significant factor of the actual error, and is not the right way to go.

Likes CricK0es
I assume you measured two quantities, one labeled "Left" and one labeled "Right". These are your actual measurements and you should find the std on these. Then propagate the error for the calculated (as opposed to measured) radius as
$$\delta R~= \sqrt{[\delta(Left)]^2+ [\delta(Right)]^2} $$
The error is 84%, a huge number, but not surprising considering that the middle measurement results in a radius that is almost twice as large as the other two. Also, in view of the accuracy of your measurements, you should trim the number of your reported significant figures appropriately.

Likes CricK0es

1. What is standard deviation and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Standard deviation is a measure of how much the data points in a set vary from the mean or average value. It is important in scientific experiments because it helps to determine the reliability and accuracy of the data collected. It also allows for the comparison of different sets of data.

2. How can using standard deviation wrongly affect the results of an experiment?

If standard deviation is calculated or interpreted incorrectly, it can lead to incorrect conclusions being drawn from the data. For example, using the wrong formula or including outliers in the calculation can skew the results and make them less reliable.

3. What are some common mistakes that can lead to errors in standard deviation calculations?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula, not accounting for negative values, or not considering all the data points. Additionally, human error such as data entry mistakes or rounding errors can also affect the accuracy of the standard deviation.

4. How can one determine if an error in standard deviation is due to experimental apparatus or other factors?

A good way to determine the source of an error in standard deviation is to repeat the experiment using different apparatus or methods. If the results are consistent, then the error is likely due to the apparatus. If the results are still varied, then the error may be due to other factors such as human error or environmental factors.

5. Is it better to have a smaller or larger standard deviation in an experiment?

It depends on the purpose of the experiment. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data points are closer to the mean, which can be desirable for precision and accuracy. However, a larger standard deviation may be expected in certain experiments and can provide valuable information about the variability of the data set.