How to Apply Stoke's Theorem When Unable to Express Z in Terms of X and Y?

• Thread starter fonseh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Also, the vector field is not given. In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties finding the normal vector and expressing z in terms of x and y for a line integral using Stoke's theorem. The homework statement and equations are not fully provided and a solution is not yet attempted.
fonseh

Homework Statement

i can't find the normal vector here . In my book , outwards vector is . (Refer to photo 1 )
The question is in photo 2 , i am aksed to use stoke's theorem to evalutae line integral of vector filed
But , now the problem is i can't express z in terms of y and x . Can anyone help ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For now , i have Δx F = (-z+ 1) j only

Attachments

• DSC_0038 (1).JPG
    DSC_0038 (1).JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 359
  • Screenshot_2016-12-14-00-53-50-496.jpeg
    Screenshot_2016-12-14-00-53-50-496.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

i can't find the normal vector here . In my book , outwards vector is . (Refer to photo 1 )
The question is in photo 2 , i am aksed to use stoke's theorem to evalutae line integral of vector filed
But , now the problem is i can't express z in terms of y and x . Can anyone help ?

Homework Equations

For your first case, I don't see a boundary line to the surface. For the second case, the surface is a cylinder, and I think they might be asking you to compute ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, dS ##. If that is the case, you could also use Gauss law and compute ## \int \nabla \cdot \vec{F} \, d^3x ##, but certainly not Stokes theorem. (the Gauss's law version would also include in its result the integration over the endfaces of the cylinder). ## \\ ## Additional item: For vector curl use " \nabla \times " in Latex. To get Latex, put " ## " on both sides of your statement or expression. (The vector gradient is " \nabla" in Latex. The divergence is " \nabla \cdot ".)

Last edited:
fonseh said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

What is preventing you from typing in a complete statement of the problem? There is no question in the photo telling us what line integral (if it really is a line integral) you want.

1. What is Stoke's theorem and what is its purpose?

Stoke's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the line integral of its curl along the boundary of the surface. Its purpose is to provide a way to evaluate a surface integral by converting it into a line integral, which is often easier to calculate.

2. What are the conditions for Stoke's theorem to be applicable?

In order for Stoke's theorem to be applicable, the surface must be smooth and closed, meaning it has no boundary. Additionally, the vector field must be continuously differentiable in the region enclosed by the surface.

3. How is Stoke's theorem used in physics and engineering?

Stoke's theorem is used in physics and engineering to calculate flux, circulation, and other important quantities in vector fields. It is often used in applications such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

4. Can Stoke's theorem be applied in three dimensions?

Yes, Stoke's theorem can be applied in three dimensions. In fact, it can be generalized to higher dimensions as well.

5. What is the difference between Stoke's theorem and Green's theorem?

While both Stoke's theorem and Green's theorem relate surface integrals to line integrals, they differ in the dimensionality of their domains. Stoke's theorem applies to three-dimensional surfaces, while Green's theorem applies to two-dimensional regions in the plane. Additionally, Stoke's theorem involves the curl of a vector field, while Green's theorem involves the divergence of a vector field.