Using Superposition and Linearity to Find Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of superposition and linearity in solving a circuit problem. The speaker explains the process they used to find the voltage and current values in the circuit, and also mentions the necessary conditions for superposition to work. The conversation ends with a clarification on how the value of I was determined.
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

iVCrABV.png

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: v = iR
KVL: ∑ V = 0
KCL: ∑ I = 0

Linearity: kiR = kv

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so to apply superposition, I'm supposed to turn off all independent sources except one. I began by turning off the voltage source, and I then I used KCL to attempt to find the voltage through the resistor with current I flowing through it. I named the resistor that is in series with the voltage source R1, and the resistor in parallel with the current source R2.

Is = (R1/(R1 + R2))Is + I

Then I tried to find the voltage attributed to the circuit by the current source:

v = ((R1/(R1 + R2))Is )R2

Then I turned off the current source, leaving an open circuit and tried to solve for the current from the voltage source:

vs = i(R1 + R2)

After this, I have tried plugging in the numbers given in the problem to find values for R1 and R2, but this didn't work out very well. I don't think I'm setting up or thinking about the problem correctly. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you get your first equation.

It is possible, but you do not have to determine the resistance values. You can directly use superposition and linearity.

For example, if Is = 4 A and Vs = 40 V we know that I = 4 A.
What happens if Is = 2 A and Vs = 20 V?

How do we know that I = 4 A just from knowing that Is = 4 A and Vs = 40 V?

If you assume linearity and superposition you can write the "output" as a linear equation of the "inputs". There are two inputs: a voltage source and a current source. There's one output: the current in the central branch. How might such a linear equation be written?

Likes Gwozdzilla
Okay, so just applying linearity... I made up the equation: I = mIs + nVs. Then I plugged in the given values and found that m = .5 and n = .05. This allowed me to get the correct answer to the problem when plugging in the final values. Does this have anything to do with superposition or was that just extraneous information from the initial question?

Gwozdzilla said:
Okay, so just applying linearity... I made up the equation: I = mIs + nVs. Then I plugged in the given values and found that m = .5 and n = .05. This allowed me to get the correct answer to the problem when plugging in the final values. Does this have anything to do with superposition or was that just extraneous information from the initial question?
Well, fundamentally superposition works because linearity does for circuits with linear components. It's a necessary result of linearity. So I suppose you could call it superfluous information rather than extraneous :)

Likes Gwozdzilla
Gwozdzilla said:
How do we know that I = 4 A just from knowing that Is = 4 A and Vs = 40 V?
It is given in the problem statement.

1. How can superposition be used to find current?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that the total response of a linear system is the sum of the responses of each individual input. This means that if there are multiple sources of current in a circuit, the total current can be found by adding the individual currents from each source.

2. What is linearity and how does it relate to finding current?

Linearity is the property of a system where the output is directly proportional to the input. In the context of finding current, this means that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage applied. This allows us to use simple equations, such as Ohm's law, to calculate the current in a circuit.

3. Can superposition be used in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, superposition can be used in both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. As long as the circuit is linear, the principle of superposition applies.

4. What are the limitations of using superposition and linearity to find current?

Superposition and linearity can only be applied in linear circuits. Non-linear elements, such as diodes and transistors, cannot be analyzed using these principles. Additionally, superposition may not accurately predict the behavior of a circuit under extreme conditions, such as high voltages or currents.

5. Are there any practical applications of using superposition and linearity to find current?

Yes, these principles are commonly used in circuit analysis and design. They allow engineers to predict the behavior of complex circuits and make accurate calculations for current, voltage, and power. They are also used in signal processing and communication systems to analyze and manipulate electrical signals.