Using the right hand rule with symbols

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Right Hand Rule #3 for determining the direction of velocity in different scenarios. The person can solve for b) left and f) downward, but is unsure about a,c,e due to the inward/outward information for B. They are also confused about D because the direction of B is not specified. They ask for help and mention that velocity is a vector quantity.
Scholar1

Homework Statement

2zz2u0k.png

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule #3

The Attempt at a Solution

For #11 I can do b) left
f) downward

But I don't understand how to do a,c,e because I don't understand how to use RHR 3 with those inward/outward info for V. And I don't understand D because it doesn't say whether B is inward or outward.

Please help! Thanks![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Scholar1 said:

Homework Statement

[ IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2zz2u0k.png[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule #3

The Attempt at a Solution

For #11 I can do b) left
f) downward

But I don't understand how to do a,c,e because I don't understand how to use RHR 3 with those inward/outward info for V. And I don't understand D because it doesn't say whether B is inward or outward.

Please help! Thanks![/B]
Velocity is a vector quantity, isn't it? Why can you do these when B is into or out of the page?

1. What is the right hand rule and why is it important in science?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a vector or current in a three-dimensional space. It is important in science because it allows scientists to easily visualize and understand the direction of forces and currents in complex systems.

2. How do I use the right hand rule with symbols?

To use the right hand rule with symbols, you first need to identify which symbol represents the vector or current you are trying to determine the direction of. Then, hold your right hand out with your thumb, index finger, and middle finger perpendicular to each other. Align your thumb with the direction of the vector or current, and your index finger and middle finger with the other two symbols. The direction your middle finger points is the direction of the vector or current.

3. Is the right hand rule always applicable in science?

No, the right hand rule is not always applicable in science. It is most commonly used in electromagnetism and mechanics, but may not apply in other fields such as quantum mechanics.

4. Can the right hand rule be used with left-handed coordinate systems?

Yes, the right hand rule can be adapted for use with left-handed coordinate systems. Instead of using your right hand, you would use your left hand and align your thumb, index finger, and middle finger accordingly.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule depending on the specific application. For example, there is a modified right hand rule for determining the direction of magnetic fields around a current-carrying wire. It is important to consult with your instructor or research the specific application to ensure you are using the correct variation of the right hand rule.