Direction of magnetic field problem (Right Hand Rule)

In summary, the conversation is about determining the direction of the magnetic field B at a certain point using the right hand rule. The person has already solved for the magnetic fields everywhere and at the specific point, but is unsure which current to use for the right hand rule since there are two currents (i1 and i2). The other person explains that the direction of the B-field will depend on which current is greater, and without that information, it is impossible to determine the direction.
Tomi Kolawole

Homework Statement

media%2F1da%2F1da9e30f-97fb-4afe-95f0-187c5571206a%2FphpK1ophx.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved for the magnetic fields everywhere AND THE magnetic field at R>F = (U/2*PI*R)*(I2-I1)

My only problem is i know i use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field B as clockwise or counter clockwise, however there are 2 currents i2 and i1 so which current do i put my thumb to determine the direction of B at R>F?

Attachments

• media%2F1da%2F1da9e30f-97fb-4afe-95f0-187c5571206a%2FphpK1ophx.png
    media%2F1da%2F1da9e30f-97fb-4afe-95f0-187c5571206a%2FphpK1ophx.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 723
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tomi Kolawole said:
I have already solved for the magnetic fields everywhere AND THE magnetic field at R>F = (U/2*PI*R)*(I2-I1)
This is incorrect. Your expression in the region R > F is missing a denominator. Anyway, since your expression has (i2-i1), put your thumb in the direction of i1 and do the right hand rule thing. Ultimately, the direction the B-field will depend on which of the two currents is greater than the other. If your are given that i2 > i1, then the direction will be as you have chosen, else it will be the opposite direction.

They didnt say which is greater than the other in the question stated above, so how can i know?

You can't possibly know unless you have numbers or at least someone tells you which current is greater than the other.

1. What is the right hand rule for determining the direction of a magnetic field?

The right hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a magnet. It states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current or the south pole of a magnet, then the direction your fingers curl around the wire or magnet represents the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How do you use the right hand rule to determine the direction of a magnetic field for a solenoid?

To use the right hand rule for a solenoid, you must first determine the direction of the current flowing through the coils. Then, wrap your right hand around the solenoid in the direction of the current, with your fingers pointing in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the right hand rule be used for all types of magnets?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for any type of magnet, including bar magnets, horseshoe magnets, and electromagnets. It can also be used for determining the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a solenoid.

4. Is the right hand rule always accurate in determining the direction of a magnetic field?

Yes, the right hand rule is always accurate in determining the direction of a magnetic field. However, it is important to note that the direction of the magnetic field can change depending on the orientation of the wire or magnet, so the right hand rule must be used consistently.

5. How does the right hand rule relate to the right hand grip rule?

The right hand rule and the right hand grip rule are essentially the same concept, with the only difference being the direction of the thumb. In the right hand rule, the thumb points in the direction of the current or south pole of the magnet, while in the right hand grip rule, the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field. Both rules can be used interchangeably to determine the direction of a magnetic field.