Utility Functions and their Forms

In summary: I would recommend looking into textbooks on microeconomic theory or consumer behavior, as well as academic articles on utility functions and their properties. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!
Manfred1999
Hi all,

I have a non-economic background and I am currently interested in utility functions and how they are modeled in economics. Some internet research and I found out that there are obviously different ways of model utility. In my own studies of related topics I encountered the following two examples:

$$u(c) = \frac{{c}^{1-n}-1}{1-n}$$ if $$n\ne 1$$

Obviously, in case of n = 1 then it is $$u(c) = \ln\left({c}\right)$$

I know that this is an iso-elastic utility function. However, I do not understand why economists do use this power function to model iso-elastic utilities. What are the mathematical properties that do make this form so beneficial?

A second example is from Mulligan (1997). He uses the following utlity function to model decisions by parents on their own consumption and that of their children:

$$\frac{\sigma}{\sigma-1}{{C}_{t}}^{\frac{\sigma-1}{\sigma}}+\alpha\frac{\sigma}{\sigma-1}E[{{C}_{t+1}}^{\frac{\sigma-1}{\sigma}}]$$

In this example, I do not understand why the author chooses $$\frac{\sigma}{\sigma-1}{{C}_{t}}^{\frac{\sigma-1}{\sigma}}$$ to model utility in this case (he also does not explain it in his book). To me it almost appears to be random. Again, what are the mathematical properties that would make anyone choose this form?

Of course I would appreciate any hints for why one would choose these forms in the examples mentioned above. But I would also appreciate any book/ reference that explains the mathematical properties (and thus the rationale) for these functions. Maybe it is just me but I did not find any useful book that walks the reader for the mathematical justification of the different forms of utility function.

I hope my questions do makes sense. I would be grateful for any help.
Manfred

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Manfred,

Thank you for your interesting questions about utility functions and their mathematical properties. As an economist, I can shed some light on why these particular forms of utility functions are commonly used and their underlying mathematical properties.

Firstly, the iso-elastic utility function that you mentioned is a very common form used by economists to model preferences. This is because it has several desirable mathematical properties that make it a useful tool for economic analysis.

One of the main reasons for its popularity is its constant elasticity of substitution (CES) property. This means that the marginal rate of substitution (MRS) between any two goods is constant along the entire indifference curve. In simpler terms, this means that the trade-off between two goods remains constant regardless of the level of consumption. This property is useful for economic analysis as it allows for easy interpretation of consumer behavior and demand patterns.

Additionally, the iso-elastic utility function also has the property of constant relative risk aversion (CRRA). This means that the level of risk aversion remains constant regardless of the level of wealth or consumption. This is a realistic assumption as most people tend to have a consistent level of risk aversion regardless of their wealth.

Furthermore, this form of utility function also has the desirable property of homotheticity. This means that the shape of the indifference curves remains the same regardless of the level of income or wealth. This is useful for economic analysis as it allows for easy comparison of preferences across different income levels.

Moving on to the second example you mentioned, the utility function used by Mulligan (1997), it is also a commonly used form in economics. This is because it is a specific form of the more general Constant Relative Risk Aversion (CRRA) utility function. As mentioned earlier, CRRA is a desirable property for utility functions as it captures the realistic behavior of individuals in regards to risk aversion.

Moreover, this particular form of the CRRA utility function has the added benefit of being separable. This means that it can be broken down into two components, one for current consumption and one for future consumption. This is useful for economic analysis as it allows for the study of intertemporal decision making and the trade-offs between current and future consumption.

In conclusion, the mathematical properties of these utility functions make them useful tools for economists to model and analyze consumer behavior and decision making. I hope this answers your questions and provides some insight into the rationale behind these forms of utility functions. As for

Related to Utility Functions and their Forms

1. What is a utility function?

A utility function is a mathematical representation of an individual's preferences for different goods or resources. It assigns a numerical value, or utility, to each possible combination of goods, with higher numbers representing greater satisfaction or happiness.

2. What are the different forms of utility functions?

There are several different forms of utility functions, including linear, logarithmic, exponential, and power functions. Each form has its own distinct properties and is used to represent different types of preferences.

3. How are utility functions used in economics?

In economics, utility functions are used to model consumer behavior and decision-making. They help economists understand how individuals make choices among different goods and how their preferences change as their income or prices of goods change.

4. Can utility functions be applied to other fields besides economics?

Yes, utility functions can be applied to other fields such as psychology and marketing. In psychology, utility functions can be used to study how individuals make choices and decisions. In marketing, utility functions can help businesses understand consumer preferences and make decisions about pricing and product design.

5. Are there limitations to utility functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to utility functions. They assume that individuals make rational decisions based on their preferences, but in reality, people's choices can be influenced by factors such as emotions and social norms. Additionally, utility functions may not accurately capture all aspects of an individual's preferences, such as non-monetary factors.