UW-Seattle vs. Scripps Institution of Oceaongraphy

• Thread starter SLACer
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been accepted to graduate programs at both UW and SIO (of UC San Diego) and is having a hard time deciding between the two. They have visited both schools and considered various factors such as job opportunities, stress level, and location. They have also received a Fulbright offer, but do not wish to discuss it. The speaker is seeking advice and personal anecdotes. The advice given is to consider their passion for biophysics or geophysics and make a decision based on that, with the suggestion that the job market for geophysics may be better.
SLACer
Really divergent interests of mine (biophysics and earth/environmental science) are somehow now both viable options for my future, as UW and SIO (of UC San Diego) both accepted me and now I must pick. Visits to both and weeks of deliberation have not broken a tie between these two, and there is but one week to decide (though fortunately all other grad schools I was considering have been eliminated). On top of this I have a Fulbright offer, but that's a layer of complication I wish not to discuss.

Thoughts? Personal experiences? Stipend/cost of living are non-issues; funding is comparable at both once costs are analyzed.

UW: In one of if not my favorite city, very supportive department, less stressful than other big names (or so I've heard) but still a heavy-weight in the field, biophysics research opportunities are good, including interdepartmental collaboration (a positive in my view). But, I'd be contending with what some would call the bleak physics job market and be in a lab for years, though industry opportunities for biophysics may outweigh that.

Scripps: The top of the pack in oceanography (except maybe Woods Hole), one post-doc -> academic job is common, La Jolla is beautiful (though it lacks that Seattle "authenticity"), can (and may have to) sail the world for research. On the other hand, a fairly stressful environment, even as grad schools go, and there is little "industry" for oceanography or geophysics grads except oil/natural gas (I'm still too idealistic to go that route yet).

Any and all advice, comments, and/or personal anecdotes are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should figure out whether you really want to do biophysics or geophysics and then decide based on that. My impression is that the job market for geophysics has to be much better than biophysics.

Of course I'm doing geophysics so I'm going to vote for Scripps ;)

Related to UW-Seattle vs. Scripps Institution of Oceaongraphy

1. What is the difference between UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography?

UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography are both prestigious research institutions, but they differ in their focus and areas of study. UW-Seattle is a larger university with a wide range of academic programs, while Scripps Institution of Oceanography is a smaller, more specialized research institution focused on marine sciences.

2. Which university has a stronger reputation in the field of oceanography?

Both UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography have strong reputations in the field of oceanography. UW-Seattle is known for its interdisciplinary approach to oceanography, while Scripps Institution of Oceanography is renowned for its cutting-edge research and state-of-the-art facilities.

3. What types of research opportunities are available at UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography?

At UW-Seattle, students have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of research projects, including oceanography, marine biology, and climate science. Scripps Institution of Oceanography offers research opportunities in areas such as oceanography, geophysics, and marine chemistry.

4. How does the location of the two universities impact their oceanography programs?

The location of UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography plays a significant role in their oceanography programs. UW-Seattle is situated on the shores of the Puget Sound, providing easy access to a diverse range of marine environments. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, on the other hand, is located in San Diego, California, giving students access to the Pacific Ocean and a variety of marine research sites.

5. Which university has a stronger focus on sustainability and environmental conservation in their oceanography programs?

Both UW-Seattle and Scripps Institution of Oceanography have a strong commitment to sustainability and environmental conservation in their oceanography programs. UW-Seattle has a dedicated College of the Environment, while Scripps Institution of Oceanography has a Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation, showcasing their focus on these important issues.