Math Ph.D. Programs (Looking for a Good Fit)

In summary, David is looking for advice on which graduate schools to apply to this fall. He attended community college for a few years and has a 3.7 GPA in math. He has scored well on the GRE and has four very good recommendations. He is unsure how his GRE score will translate to the real thing, but is confident he can dedicate about forty hours a week to his graduate work.
ded8381
Hi, I am applying to graduate schools this fall, and I could really use some guidance in finding a program that would be a good fit. The way I see it, there are two things I must consider: Applying to programs that may accept me, and applying to programs I would want to attend. :)

I attended Community College a couple years out of HS, then dropped out. I got married, had children, returned to school to earn a B.S. in Math. So, I spent a total of about 6 or 7 years as an undergrad over a decade, I'm now 29 years old.

I have a 3.7 GPA (All A's in Math, except B's in the calculus courses I took at the community college just out of HS.), scored 20 on the putnam, received top graduate award (small unknown dept, about 12 students graduated), and I would have 4 very good and personal recommendations. I got a 90% on the practice math GRE, and I'm unsure how that will translate to the real thing; though I will continue to study until November. I have no research experience.

So, maybe that will help determine what grad schools I could get into. But I also have to consider my family. I know that earning a Ph.D. requires sacrifice, but if it means I can't play with my kids, or spend time with my wife; unfortanutely it's just not going to happen. I figure I can dedicate about 55-60 hours a week to this, minus the time spent being a TA, bringing it to 35-40 hours. Is that a reasonable amount of time to spend on my graduate work? I sure hope so. I'm figuring if I go to a lower ranked school, there would be less demand on my time. A good trade off, in my opinion, if it's necessary at all.

So, based on cost of living and the stipend amount, here are the schools I'm looking at so far. In brackets, I've included the rank based on 1993 NRC study.

University of Oregon (44)
Oregon State (86)
Dartmouth (49)
Massachusettes(55)
Arizona State(81)
University of Washington(26)
Cornell (15)
Texas/Austin (23)
Michigan (9)
Purdue (25)
Miami (99)
Missouri Rolla(125)
Yale(7)
University of Idaho (Not Listed)

In advance, I appreciate your responses.

David

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all college rankings, especially for graduate schools, are highly subjective and should have only minimal influence on your decision. Second, rankings from 1993 are 17 years old.

E-mail professors and grad students and talk to them about your situation to see what can be done to accommodate it.

davesface said:
E-mail professors and grad students and talk to them about your situation to see what can be done to accommodate it.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. That will be very helpful. Maybe I'll also include the details in my personal statement. Now, I just need to know what kinds of schools may accept me.

David

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission to a Math Ph.D. program?

The specific requirements for admission to a Math Ph.D. program may vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs typically require a strong undergraduate background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. Other requirements may include a high GPA, letters of recommendation, and a satisfactory score on the GRE Math Subject Test.

2. What are some factors to consider when choosing a Math Ph.D. program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a Math Ph.D. program include the research interests of the faculty, the availability of funding and assistantship opportunities, the program's reputation and rankings, the location and cost of living, and the overall fit with your academic and career goals.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Math Ph.D. program?

The length of a Math Ph.D. program can vary, but it typically takes around 5-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing a dissertation. However, the length may also depend on the individual's progress and the requirements of the program.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a Math Ph.D.?

Graduates with a Math Ph.D. have a wide range of career opportunities. Many go on to become professors, researchers, or work in industry as data scientists, quantitative analysts, or consultants. Other career options include working in government agencies, non-profit organizations, or teaching at the secondary level.

5. Are there any specializations or concentrations within Math Ph.D. programs?

Yes, there are many different specializations and concentrations within Math Ph.D. programs. Some common areas of focus include algebra, analysis, topology, geometry, and applied mathematics. It's important to research different programs to find the one that aligns with your specific interests and goals.