Validating Beam Deflection Equations for Pinned and Fixed Supports

• Thread starter fonseh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Span
In summary: No. Compare your second equation 0 = 2EK( 2θB + 0 - 3Φ ) ------(2) to the equation in the first line of the first post above. They describe the same case, far end not fixed. The difference is just that the "unknown" (θB) has been eliminated in the second equation. This is necessary for solving the problem. If you have two unknowns you need two equations to solve for them. The first equation in the first post above is the second equation you need.No. Compare your second equation 0 = 2EK( 2θB + 0 - 3Φ ) ------(2
fonseh

Homework Statement

In this question , is figure 11-2 a and 11-2 b the same beam ? Why in a , the support is pinned end , it change to fixed end in figure b ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In equation 11-9 , i gtet different ans with the author ..
Here's what i gt :
MN = 2EK( 2 θN + θF - 3 Φ ) + (FEM)N
So,
0= 2EK( 2θA + θB - 3 Φ )

At here θA = 0 , and (FEM)N = 0 , far end = B ,near end = A

MN = 2EK( 2 (0) + θB - 3 Φ ) +(FEM)N ----(1)
0= 2EK( 2θB + 0 - 3 Φ ) ------(2)

By applying the same method as author ( Multiply equation 1 by 2 , and subtract equation 2 ) , i gt
MAB = 3EK(-Φ)

Attachments

• 627.png
    627.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:
is figure 11-2 a and 11-2 b the same beam ?
No. They are the two different cases of "far end not fixed" (i.e. pin or roller). The near end is fixed or not fixed.

I cannot follow your algebra. You seem to be setting some things to zero without cause. I get the same equation as the author.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
No. They are the two different cases of "far end not fixed" (i.e. pin or roller). The near end is fixed or not fixed.

I cannot follow your algebra. You seem to be setting some things to zero without cause. I get the same equation as the author.
why in case 11-8(a) , the far end angular dispalcement theta _B doesn't have to be determined ? I only learned that when the end is fixed support , then , the the angular displacement is 0

fonseh said:
why in case 11-8(a) , the far end angular dispalcement theta _B doesn't have to be determined ? I only learned that when the end is fixed support , then , the the angular displacement is 0
θB (=θF) does not need to be determined because it was possible to combine the two equations so as to eliminate it and produce an equation without it. There is no suggestion that is zero.

By the way, I find the image you posted hard to read. It is very small. When I blow it up large enough to read it becomes quite fuzzy.

haruspex said:
θB (=θF) does not need to be determined because it was possible to combine the two equations so as to eliminate it and produce an equation without it. There is no suggestion that is zero.

By the way, I find the image you posted hard to read. It is very small. When I blow it up large enough to read it becomes quite fuzzy.
In 11-8 a, we could see that at the left end , it's pin supoorted , why at 11-8b , it will become fixed supported ?

haruspex said:

Can you explain how to get 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 ? (Just below equation 11-9)

Likes haruspex
fonseh said:
In 11-8 a, we could see that at the left end , it's pin supoorted , why at 11-8b , it will become fixed supported ?
The left end is the "near end". The situation being considered is "far end not fixed". There are two cases of that, near end fixed or near end not fixed. Hence the two diagrams.

Likes fonseh
fonseh said:
Can you explain how to get 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 ? (Just below equation 11-9)
Apparently this comes from Eq 11-7 and/or 11-8, but those are not in your post.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
Apparently this comes from Eq 11-7 and/or 11-8, but those are not in your post.
Here is it . Can you help to explain ? 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 ? Does the first 0 represents MN , and the last 0 represent (FEM) N ?

Attachments

• 630.PNG
    630.PNG
    57.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 631.PNG
    631.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 383
fonseh said:
Here is it . Can you help to explain ? 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 ? Does the first 0 represents MN , and the last 0 represent (FEM) N ?
Yes, but remember this is applying eq 11-8 at B in fig 11-8b, so in the context of eq 11-8, B is the near end and A is the far end (which is fixed in fig 11-8b). (The unfortunate coincidence of similar reference numbers in eqs and figures is confusing.)

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
Yes, but remember this is applying eq 11-8 at B in fig 11-8b, so in the context of eq 11-8, B is the near end and A is the far end (which is fixed in fig 11-8b). (The unfortunate coincidence of similar reference numbers in eqs and figures is confusing.)
then , how about MN = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + (FEM)N ? What does it represent ? 11-8a ? Which is near end ? and which is far end ?

fonseh said:
then , how about MN = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + (FEM)N ? What does it represent ? 11-8a ? Which is near end ? and which is far end ?
That is the other way round, A is the near end here.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
That is the other way round, A is the near end here.
So , both MN = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + (FEM)N and 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 describes about case in 11-8b ?

fonseh said:
So , both MN = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + (FEM)N and 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 describes about case in 11-8b ?
No. Compare your second equation above with the second equation of 11-9. The angles are swapped around.

I think what is confusing you is the near-far notation in eqs 11-9. In both of them, the near end is A and the far end is B, so for clarity rewrite them replacing N with A and F with B everywhere.

Eq 11-8 is for far-end-fixed. The author doesn't write it out but states that if, in addition, the near end is not fixed we can simply substitute MN=(FEM)N=0 in eq 11-8. Call this eq 11-80.
In fig 11-8b, we have A fixed, B not fixed. This means we can use eq 11-80 with A as F and B as N. This gives the second eq of 11-9. We can also use eq 11-8 but with A as N and B as F. This gives the first eq of 11-9.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
think what is confusing you is the near-far notation in eqs 11-9. In both of them, the near end is A and the far end is B, so for clarity rewrite them replacing N with A and F with B everywhere.
so , do you mean both MN = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + (FEM)N and 0 = 2Ek( 2 theta_N + theta_F -3phi) + 0 describes about the near end is A and the far end is B in case 11-8(b) ?

haruspex said:
The author doesn't write it out but states that if, in addition, the near end is not fixed we can simply substitute MN=(FEM)N=0

why if the near end is not fixed , we could use MN=(FEM)N=0 ??

We can notice that the case in 11-8b yield equation (11-10) , so , is it possible that the equation 11-10 to be used and applied in case 11-8(a) in which both ends are roller / pin supported ?

fonseh said:
why if the near end is not fixed , we could use MN=(FEM)N=0 ??
Because a pin or roller cannot exert a torque.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
Because a pin or roller cannot exert a torque.
post #17 , can you try to reply ?
We can notice that the case in 11-8b yield equation (11-10) , so , is it possible that the equation 11-10 to be used and applied in case 11-8(a) in which both ends are roller / pin supported ?

fonseh said:
I think so, just setting MN=(FEM)N=0. That would lead to θN=ψ. Does that make sense? I'm unsure how ψ is defined. Is it something to do with the conjugate beam?

By the way, I think I found your text online at http://mrkhademi.com/chapter11.pdf.

haruspex said:
I think so, just setting MN=(FEM)N=0. That would lead to θN=ψ. Does that make sense? I'm unsure how ψ is defined. Is it something to do with the conjugate beam?
so , for both case 11-8(a) and 11-8(b) , we can use equation 11-10 ?

fonseh said:
I can only repeat my post #20. That looks right, but in the case of neither end fixed MN and (FEM)N would both be zero, right? That would imply θN=ψ. Does that equality make sense? I cannot tell because I do not understand how ψ is defined. Can you explain that to me?

haruspex said:
I can only repeat my post #20. That looks right, but in the case of neither end fixed MN and (FEM)N would both be zero, right? That would imply θN=ψ. Does that equality make sense? I cannot tell because I do not understand how ψ is defined. Can you explain that to me?
ψ is the settlement of the support , which can be ignored since there's no statement stated that the support undergo settlement

fonseh said:
ψ is the settlement of the support , which can be ignored since there's no statement stated that the support undergo settlement

No, I'm not happy with the implication. Having read the online doc, I see that you are right about ψ; we can take it as zero for present purposes.
As I understand it, MN and (FEM)N are the moments exerted by the supports at the near and far ends respectively. (Can you confirm that?). So with both ends pinned, these should be zero. Putting that in the equation leads to θN=ψ=0, which makes no sense.

I will try reading and digesting the whole online doc, but it will take some time. Other than trying to help you with this subject, I have no background in it.

Likes fonseh
haruspex said:
As I understand it, MN and (FEM)N are the moments exerted by the supports at the near and far ends respectively. (Can you confirm that?).
I think so

As a first step, I have calculated some simple cases from first principles.
In each, there is a load P on a uniform beam length L, coefficient E. The deflection angle at a pinned end is cPL2/E for some constant c.
Loads on supports are FA, FB; moment at A is MA if A fixed.
1. Ends pinned, load central: c = 1/16. FA=FB=P/2.
2. Ends pinned, load distributed uniformly: c=1/24, etc.
3. End A fixed horizontal, end B pinned: c=1/32, FA=11/16 P, FB = 5/16 P, MA=3/16 PL.

I hope to be able to use these to validate various equations in the text.

Last edited:

What is a pinned end supported span?

A pinned end supported span is a structural element, typically a beam or truss, that is supported on both ends by pins or hinges. This means that the ends of the span are free to rotate and move horizontally, but not vertically.

What are the advantages of using pinned end supported spans?

Pinned end supported spans are beneficial because they allow for more flexibility in design and can accommodate a wider range of loading conditions. They also tend to be more economical and easier to construct compared to other types of supports.

What are the limitations of pinned end supported spans?

The main limitation of pinned end supported spans is their inability to resist vertical forces. This means that they are not suitable for structures that require support against gravity, such as floors or roofs. They also have a lower load capacity compared to other types of supports.

How do you determine the maximum load capacity of a pinned end supported span?

The maximum load capacity of a pinned end supported span can be determined by analyzing the structural properties, such as the material strength, cross-sectional dimensions, and support conditions. Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate the load capacity and ensure that the span can safely support the intended load.

What are some common applications of pinned end supported spans?

Pinned end supported spans are commonly used in bridges, crane girders, and roof trusses. They are also used in buildings to support non-load-bearing walls or partitions. Additionally, they are often used in temporary structures, such as scaffolding or shoring systems, due to their ease of construction and disassembly.