Validating Ionic Liquid Simulations: Error Analysis and Implications

In summary, the speaker was working on an ionic liquid simulation and initially believed the results were validated based on a 3% error when compared to experimental data. However, upon further comparison, they discovered a significant error of up to 300%. The speaker is unsure about the validity of their simulation data and is seeking clarification on how to proceed.
hosein
Dear all,
I've been working on an ionic liquid that I was involved in simulating with Lammps, but when I started to write its paper, I found a mistake (or a neglect) that makes almost all the results useless. I would always compare the pVT simulation data with the corresponding experimental data with an error below 3% for the comparison of V of simulation and experimental (in P, T similar), and so I assumed my simulations are validated, but when a couple of weeks ago, I compared p of simulation and experimental (in V, T similar), I found a very weird error of in average 50, sometimes 300%. What is this mean?
I mean, can I assume that my simulation data are validated and use them for further calculation?

Best regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is messy. You failed to give us enough information, and you ask for a detailed answer.

No way to help you based on what you wrote.

Borek said:
This is messy. You failed to give us enough information, and you ask for a detailed answer.

No way to help you based on what you wrote.
--------simulation--------experimental
----------T1----------------------T1
V1-------P1----------------- press1
V2 -------P2----------------press2
.-----------. ---------------------.
.-----------.----------------------.
.----------- . --------------------- .
T1=T1
E%=((P1,2,...-press1,2,...)/press1,2,...)*100=50 or sometimes >200
if I fit the press values with V1,V2, ... and produce a formula to compare them, then I use P1, P2, ... to produce the corresponding volume results( V'1, V'2, ...)
the error would be:
E%=((V1,2,...-V'1,2,...)/V1,2,...)*100= 3%<
Best regards

1. What are ionic liquids and why are they important?

Ionic liquids are salts that are liquid at low temperatures or even room temperature, unlike traditional salts which are only liquid at high temperatures. They are important because they have unique properties such as low volatility, high thermal stability, and high ionic conductivity, making them useful in a wide range of applications including energy storage, chemical synthesis, and biotechnology.

2. What is the purpose of validating ionic liquid simulations?

The purpose of validating ionic liquid simulations is to ensure that the simulated behavior of the ionic liquid is accurate and reflects the behavior of the real system. This is important for understanding and predicting the properties of ionic liquids and for guiding future research and development of these materials.

3. How is error analysis used in validating ionic liquid simulations?

Error analysis involves comparing the results of the simulation to experimental data or other reliable theoretical models. This allows researchers to identify any discrepancies or errors in the simulation and make adjustments to improve its accuracy. Error analysis can also help identify areas where further research is needed to better understand the behavior of ionic liquids.

4. What are some common sources of error in ionic liquid simulations?

Some common sources of error in ionic liquid simulations include the force field parameters used to describe the interactions between the ions, the treatment of long-range electrostatic interactions, and the simulation time and size limitations. Other factors such as the choice of solvent and the inclusion of solvent effects can also affect the accuracy of the simulation results.

5. What are the implications of accurate ionic liquid simulations?

Accurate ionic liquid simulations can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of these materials, allowing for the design and development of new and improved ionic liquids for various applications. They can also aid in understanding the fundamental principles governing the behavior of ionic liquids, leading to advancements in the field of ionic liquid research and potential breakthroughs in various industries.