Validity of Navier-Stokes at Extreme Mach Nos. (M = 100,000)

In summary: It's more accurate for very high velocities, but I don't think it's accurate to model incredibly high momentum flows (like a nuclear explosion) with continuum mechanics.
K41
So, speaking theoretically, if you could accelerate a fluid to extreme Mach number at sea level, then at what point does the Navier Stokes number lose its validity? What equations would you then use to model this potentially extreme momentum?

I presume based on the fact that Newton's Law's are an approximation to the classical world that only really fail at extreme velocities approaching the speed of light, how close to those velocities do we need to be before we need to worry about the validity of the equations and can we apply corrections to N-S to correct for this?

Finally, is it theoretically possible to collect a group of neutrino's for instance, compact them so that they can regarded as a continuum (very low Knudsen number) and therefore model this from using what we've just discussed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is more to do with small scale phenomena. I was looking more specifically at extreme velocity. But you are correct in thinking that inevitably at higher velocities, smaller scales must be found. There must surely be a limit to this though.

Navier–Stokes equations balance momentum in the flow, and are utilized in the "continuum flow" regime. At very high supersonic speeds for high altitudes continuum flow mechanics start to break down and are replaced by "free molecular" flow due to reduced collisions between gas molecules. I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I know a practical example of free molecular flow is the a space vehicle re-entering the atmosphere.

My feeling is at very high hypersonic speeds and low altitudes continuum flow equations will start to break down due to the temperature and pressure delta across the shock boundary (if that boundary is hot enough to "induce" free molecular flow-like conditions in the shock's wake). It might be Navier-Stokes works if utilized in concert with some "creative" boundary conditions, but when you're talking M > 100,000 it's anyone's guess as to what's going on there... The speed you're describing is over 1/10 the speed of light, my guess is travel through an atmosphere at that speed would be like setting off a nuclear bomb in front of the vehicle.

Here is a nice introduction to relativistic fluid dynamics. Practical applications are I think mainly in the area of plasma physics:

http://mathreview.uwaterloo.ca/archive/voli/2/olsthoorn.pdf

For high Knudsen numbers, you need to solve the Boltzmann equation, I think you can derive the Navier-Stokes equations from it, so you can see it as a generalization of the N-S equations.

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluid substances, such as air or water. It takes into account factors such as viscosity, density, and velocity to predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.

2. What is the significance of extreme Mach numbers?

Mach number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the speed of an object in relation to the speed of sound in the medium it is traveling through. Extreme Mach numbers, such as M = 100,000, refer to very high speeds that are close to or exceed the speed of sound. These extreme speeds can have significant effects on the behavior of fluids, making it important to study the validity of the Navier-Stokes equation in these conditions.

3. How is the validity of Navier-Stokes at extreme Mach numbers studied?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical analysis and computational simulations to study the validity of the Navier-Stokes equation at extreme Mach numbers. This involves examining the assumptions and limitations of the equation, as well as comparing its predictions to experimental data.

4. What are some challenges in studying the validity of Navier-Stokes at extreme Mach numbers?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the flow at these extreme speeds, which can lead to high levels of turbulence and non-linear behavior. This makes it difficult to accurately model and predict the behavior of fluids using the Navier-Stokes equation. Additionally, experimental data at these speeds is limited and can be difficult to obtain.

5. What are the potential implications of the Navier-Stokes equation not being valid at extreme Mach numbers?

If the Navier-Stokes equation is found to be invalid at extreme Mach numbers, it could have significant implications for our understanding and prediction of fluid behavior in these conditions. This could impact various industries, such as aerospace and defense, where high-speed flow is a crucial factor. It could also lead to the development of new equations or models to better describe fluid dynamics at extreme speeds.