Value of orbital angular momentum for two particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of a statement in lecture notes regarding two particles with spins and a spherically symmetric interaction potential. The statement states that a measurement of ##L^2## will always give the value ##6 \hbar^2## for a two-particle state with orbital quantum number ##l=2##. The conversation raises questions about the total orbital quantum number and the multiple values that can be obtained when adding up angular momenta. The expert clarifies that the statement refers to a single two-particle state with ##l=2## and does not indicate a definite value for each particle's individual orbital angular momentum.
Decimal
Hello,

I encountered the following statement in my lecture notes and there is a couple of things I don't understand:"Let's consider two particles with spins ##s_1 = \frac{1}{2}## and ## s_2 = 1## with a spherically symmetric interaction potential. Assume these two particles are in a two particle state with orbital quantum number ##l=2##. Now a measurement of ##L^2## will always give the value ##6 \hbar^2##."

First, I assume this means that the total orbital quantum number of the two particles is equal to 2? If both particles were to carry ##l=2## this would result in a total quantum number ##l_{tot}=4## right? This would mean the measurement of ##L^2## should give ##20\hbar^2##. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I thought when adding up angular momenta there would always be multiple possible values. So let's say we add up two ##l=2## particles then the total orbital angular momenta would be ##l_{tot} = 4,3,2,1,0##. Then one would also find multiple values for ##L^2## right? Yet apparently there is only one value, so what am I not understanding?

I feel like I am missing something, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decimal said:
I assume this means that the total orbital quantum number of the two particles is equal to 2?

Yes. More precisely, it means that the total orbital quantum number of the two particle state is equal to 2. That doesn't mean that either particle has a well-defined orbital quantum number by itself (see below).

Decimal said:
I thought when adding up angular momenta there would always be multiple possible values.

If you have two particles that are individually in states that both have ##l = 2##, then there can be multiple values of the total ##l## of the two particles together, because there can be multiple two-particle states that have ##l = 2## for each particle individually. But that's not what your lecture notes are describing. They are describing a single two-particle state that has ##l = 2## for the two-particle state. The notes are not telling you anything definite about ##l## for each particle individually (and if you think about it you will see that neither particle can have a definite value of ##l## by itself; they must be entangled so that their individual orbital angular momenta are correlated, with each individual particle being in a superposition of different values of ##l##).

Likes Decimal
Ah yes, I was trying to think of the individual angular momenta as having some value (like both particles having ##l=1##). What you said makes a lot more sense indeed. Thank you!

1. What is orbital angular momentum for two particles?

Orbital angular momentum for two particles is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of two particles around a common center of mass. It takes into account both the individual angular momentum of each particle and their relative position to each other.

2. How is the value of orbital angular momentum for two particles calculated?

The value of orbital angular momentum for two particles is calculated by taking the cross product of the position vector and the momentum vector for each particle, and then adding these values together.

3. What is the significance of the value of orbital angular momentum for two particles?

The value of orbital angular momentum for two particles is significant because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in a rotating system.

4. Can the value of orbital angular momentum for two particles be zero?

Yes, the value of orbital angular momentum for two particles can be zero if the two particles are either stationary or have equal and opposite momenta. In this case, there would be no rotational motion around the center of mass.

5. How does the value of orbital angular momentum for two particles affect their overall motion?

The value of orbital angular momentum for two particles affects their overall motion by determining the shape and orientation of their orbits around the center of mass. A higher value of orbital angular momentum would result in a more elliptical orbit, while a lower value would result in a more circular orbit.