Van der Pol equation confusion

In summary, the van der pol non-linear equation describes the behavior of a damped oscillator. The analysis suggests that when the amplitude of oscillations is small, the damping term A(1-y²) is negative, leading to an increase in amplitude. When the amplitude is large, the damping term becomes positive, causing the oscillations to decrease in amplitude. This behavior is similar to a damped oscillator, where energy is leaked out when the amplitude is too large and energy is fed in when it is too small.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
positive and negative damping in van der pol equation-simulation and modeling
Relevant Equations
Van der pol equation
The van der pol non-linear equation is given as-:

y''=A(1-y²)y'-By

y=amplitude

The analysis given by the book is this-:

When y²<1
i.e when y is small
A(1-y²) is negative.
A(1-y²) is called damping term.

I don't understand how is it negative? It obviously becomes positive in this case.

Sth similar is done for when y²>1.
The final conclusion is-:
Thus, small amplitude oscillations will build up and large amplitude oscillations will be damped out.
i.e when y is small=>there should be no damping as shown in what I'm confused with. (If I did according to me, then I'd be getting positive value i.e more damping).

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
The analysis given by the book
which book?
shivajikobardan said:
Homework Statement:: positive and negative damping in van der pol equation-simulation and modeling
Relevant Equations:: Van der pol equation

When y²<1
i.e when y is small
A(1-y²) is negative.
depends on sign of A of course

drmalawi said:
which book?
i just googled van der pol equation in google books. almost all of them say the same(any resource says the same).
drmalawi said:
depends on sign of A of course

Consider ## \ddot y -\mu (1-y^2 ) \dot y + y = 0## where ##y = y(t)## and ##\mu \geq 0##
Compare with the damped oscillator equation
## \ddot y +b \dot y + y = 0## where ##b## is the amount of "damping".
We have that ##b## plays the role of ## -\mu (1-y^2 ) ##
Now, if ##b>0## then the solution ##y## will decay, and if ##b<0## the solution will "blow up"
We can make this analysis now, if ##|y| > 1## then ##|y|^2 > 1## and your "damping" "b" will be positive and hence solution ##y## will decay.
If ##|y|< 1## then ##|y|^2 < 1## and your "damping" "b" will be negative and hence solution ##y## will "blow up".

This is the idea of the Van Der Pol oscillator, oscilations with small amplitude will get their amplitudes increased, and vice versa. Energy is leaked out from the system when it grows to big, and energy is fed in when it grows too small.

Likes shivajikobardan

1. What is the Van der Pol equation?

The Van der Pol equation is a second-order differential equation that describes the behavior of a damped oscillator. It is widely used in physics and engineering to model various systems, such as electrical circuits, biological systems, and mechanical systems.

2. Why is the Van der Pol equation confusing?

The Van der Pol equation can be confusing because it involves complex mathematical concepts, such as nonlinearity and limit cycles. Additionally, there are many variations and extensions of the equation, which can make it difficult to understand for those who are not familiar with it.

3. What is the significance of the Van der Pol equation?

The Van der Pol equation is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of nonlinear systems. It has applications in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, and engineering.

4. How is the Van der Pol equation solved?

The Van der Pol equation can be solved using various techniques, such as numerical methods, perturbation methods, and qualitative analysis. The specific method used depends on the system being modeled and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some real-world examples of the Van der Pol equation?

The Van der Pol equation has been used to model various systems, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and biological systems like the heartbeat. It has also been applied in fields such as economics, ecology, and neuroscience to understand complex systems and their behavior.