Vanishing of Contraction with Metric Tensor

In summary, the question posed is whether a contraction of the form ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = 0## with ##C^{\mu \nu}## being a symmetric tensor and ##g_{\mu \nu}## being the metric tensor can imply that ##C^{\mu \nu} = 0##. However, this is not the case as shown by a counterexample and by considering the number of constraints the equation puts on the tensor. Therefore, it is not valid to say that ##C^{\mu \nu}## must vanish for any ##g_{\mu \nu}##.
kent davidge
This question is probably silly, but suppose I have a contraction of the form ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = 0## where ##C^{\mu \nu}## is a tensor* and ##g_{\mu \nu}## is the metric tensor. Can I say that it must vanish for any ##g_{\mu \nu}##, and since in the most general case all ##g_{\mu \nu}## are non zero, then necessarely ##C^{\mu \nu} = 0##?

*##C^{\mu \nu}## is a symmetric tensor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##g_{\mu\nu}## is symmetric, ##C^{\mu\nu}## being antisymmetric is enough, I think.

Likes kent davidge
Ibix said:
Since ##g_{\mu\nu}## is symmetric, ##C^{\mu\nu}## being antisymmetric is enough, I think.
Yes. However it turns out that my ##C^{\mu \nu}## is also symmetric (unfortunately!)

kent davidge said:
This question is probably silly, but suppose I have a contraction of the form ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = 0## where ##C^{\mu \nu}## is a tensor* and ##g_{\mu \nu}## is the metric tensor. Can I say that it must vanish for any ##g_{\mu \nu}##, and since in the most general case all ##g_{\mu \nu}## are non zero, then necessarely ##C^{\mu \nu} = 0##?

No. Counterexample: ##C^{\mu \nu} = K^\mu K^\nu ## where ##\mathbf{K}## is any (non-zero) null vector.

Likes Ibix and kent davidge
kent davidge said:

From a Linear Algebra point of view, you take the trace. A traceless matrix is not necessarily the zero matrix.
Also, do the counting: ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = 0## puts one constraint on your tensor ##C^{\mu \nu}##, while in D dimensions a general tensor ##C^{\mu \nu}## has ##D^2## components. The condition that ##C^{\mu \nu} = C^{[\mu \nu]}##, i.e. ##C^{\mu \nu}## is antisymmetric, means ##C^{(\mu \nu)} = 0##, which are ##\frac{1}{2}D(D+1)## constraints. So ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = 0## cannot imply that ##C^{(\mu \nu)} = 0##. Of course, ##C^{(\mu \nu)} = 0## does imply that ##g_{\mu \nu} C^{\mu \nu} = g_{\mu \nu} C^{(\mu \nu)} = 0##; you get a linear combination of zeroes.

So, to answer your question: no, most definitely not.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor?

The vanishing of contraction with metric tensor refers to the property of the metric tensor in differential geometry where the contraction of the metric tensor with its inverse results in the Kronecker delta, which is a diagonal matrix with ones along the main diagonal and zeros elsewhere. In other words, the metric tensor "vanishes" or becomes zero when contracted with its inverse.

2. Why is the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor important?

This property is important because it allows for the simplification of calculations in differential geometry and relativity. It also plays a crucial role in defining the concept of length and angle in curved spaces. Without this property, calculations involving the metric tensor and its inverse would be much more complicated.

3. How does the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor relate to general relativity?

In general relativity, the metric tensor is a fundamental object that describes the curvature of spacetime. The vanishing of contraction with metric tensor is a key property that allows for the formulation of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

4. Can the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor can be generalized to any number of dimensions. In higher dimensions, the Kronecker delta is replaced by the identity matrix, which has ones along the main diagonal and zeros elsewhere. The property remains the same, where the contraction of the metric tensor with its inverse results in the identity matrix.

5. How is the vanishing of contraction with metric tensor related to the concept of parallel transport?

In differential geometry, parallel transport is the process of moving a vector or tensor along a curve without changing its direction. The vanishing of contraction with metric tensor is closely related to this concept, as it ensures that the length and angle of a vector or tensor remain constant under parallel transport. This is because the metric tensor is used to define the concept of length and angle in curved spaces.