Variable of integration in geometric phase calculation

In summary, the problem involves calculating the geometric phase change when an infinite square well expands adiabatically. This requires integrating a dot product of the wave function with its derivative over the width of the well, w. However, there is an issue with the integration when using the variable w, as the first element appears to be unintegrable. Some solutions to this problem integrate over the variable x instead of w, which is valid as the formula for the geometric phase indicates integration over R. Another way to solve this problem is by relating the dot product to the derivative of the wave function's normalization, as the wave functions are real and normalized.
yeshuamo

Homework Statement

Calculate the geometric phase change when the infinite square well expands adiabatically from width w1 to w2.

Homework Equations

Geometric phase:
[tex] \gamma_n(t) = i \int_{R_i}^{R_f} \Bigg< \psi_n \Bigg | \frac{\partial \psi_n}{\partial R} \Bigg > dR [/tex]

Infinite square well wave function:
[tex] \psi_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{w}}sin \Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an adiabatic approximation problem, and the variable R(t) here is the width of the well, w.
I took a derivative of the wave function and am integrating a dot product of the wave function with its derivative over w.

[tex] \gamma_i (t) = i \int_{w_1}^{w_2} \Big(-\frac{1}{2 w^2}\Big) sin^2 \Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) dw - 2 i \int_{w_1}^{w_2} \frac{n \pi x}{w^3} sin\Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) cos\Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) dw[/tex]

The first element appears to be unintegrable. I have looked at the solutions to this problem done by other people, and the integration is done over dx instead of dw, which clearly alleviates the integration problem above. Why is it valid to integrate over dx, even though the geometric phase formula above indicates integration over R, i.e. w?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeshuamo said:
[tex] \gamma_i (t) = i \int_{w_1}^{w_2} \Big(-\frac{1}{2 w^2}\Big) sin^2 \Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) dw - 2 i \int_{w_1}^{w_2} \frac{n \pi x}{w^3} sin\Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) cos\Big(\frac{n \pi x}{w}\Big) dw[/tex]

The first element appears to be unintegrable. I have looked at the solutions to this problem done by other people, and the integration is done over dx instead of dw, which clearly alleviates the integration problem above. Why is it valid to integrate over dx, even though the geometric phase formula above indicates integration over R, i.e. w?

Note that there are two integrations involved in ##\gamma_n(t) = i \int_{R_i}^{R_f} \left< \psi_n \Bigg | \frac{\partial \psi_n}{\partial R} \right > dR##. In addition to the integration with respect to R, the bra-ket ##\left< \psi_n \Bigg | \frac{\partial \psi_n}{\partial R} \right >## implies an additional integration (over what variable?).
---------------------------------------------------
There is a nice way to deduce the value of ##\int_{R_i}^{R_f} \left< \psi_n \Bigg | \frac{\partial \psi_n}{\partial R} \right> dR ## using just the fact that the wave functions ##\psi_n## are real and normalized. The trick is to relate ##\left< \psi_n \Bigg | \frac{\partial \psi_n}{\partial R} \right>## to ##\frac{\partial }{\partial R}\left< \psi_n | \psi_n\right>## .

Last edited:
Likes yeshuamo

1. What is a variable of integration in geometric phase calculation?

A variable of integration in geometric phase calculation is a mathematical concept used to represent the independent variable in an integral. In geometric phase calculation, it is used to denote the parameter that describes the transformation of a system over time.

2. How is a variable of integration chosen in geometric phase calculation?

The choice of variable of integration in geometric phase calculation depends on the specific problem and the symmetries of the system. It is usually chosen to simplify the calculation and make it easier to interpret the results.

3. What is the role of a variable of integration in geometric phase calculation?

The variable of integration is essential in geometric phase calculation as it determines the path along which the system evolves. It also allows for the calculation of the geometric phase, which is a measure of the system's evolution in a curved space.

4. Can the choice of variable of integration affect the results of geometric phase calculation?

Yes, the choice of variable of integration can impact the results of geometric phase calculation. Different choices can lead to different paths and, consequently, different values for the geometric phase. It is important to carefully select the variable of integration to obtain accurate results.

5. How is the variable of integration related to the geometric phase factor in geometric phase calculation?

The variable of integration is directly related to the geometric phase factor in geometric phase calculation. The geometric phase factor is a function of the variable of integration and describes the phase change due to the system's evolution in curved space.