Variational approximation and QM

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy using the variational approximation for a physical Hamiltonian. The speaker suggests using the ground state of the harmonic quantum oscillator as a trial wave function, but is unsure of which parameter to vary. The use of the semiclassical treatment and a product of ##m\omega/\hbar## as a possible parameter for variation is also mentioned.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hello. I should find the energy aproximatelly using the variational approximation for this physical hamiltonian: ##bx^4 + p²/2m## Imediatally, i thought that the better trial wave function would be the one correspondent to the ground state of the harmonic quantum oscilator. THe problem is, in fact, that i don't know what parameter to use in order to vary it! I mean, $$\psi = (mw/\pi \hbar)^{1/4}e^{-mwx^2/2 \hbar}$$. So, what parameter should i use? w=w(\alpha)? or m = m(\alpha)? How do i know by the beginning what parameter should i use to vary it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. What is variational approximation and how is it used in quantum mechanics?

Variational approximation is a method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum system. It involves choosing a trial wave function and minimizing its energy with respect to its parameters. This allows us to find an upper bound for the ground state energy of the system.

2. How does variational approximation differ from other methods used in quantum mechanics?

Variational approximation differs from other methods, such as perturbation theory, in that it does not rely on small perturbations to the system. Instead, it uses a trial wave function to approximate the ground state energy, making it applicable to a wider range of systems.

3. What are the advantages of using variational approximation in quantum mechanics?

One of the main advantages of variational approximation is its simplicity and ease of implementation. It also allows for the calculation of upper bounds for the ground state energy, which can be useful in determining the accuracy of other methods. Additionally, it can be applied to a wide range of systems, making it a versatile tool in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to using variational approximation in quantum mechanics?

One limitation of variational approximation is that it can only provide an upper bound for the ground state energy, and not the exact value. It also requires a good choice of trial wave function, which may be difficult to find for more complex systems. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with degenerate ground states.

5. Can variational approximation be used for other properties besides ground state energy?

Yes, variational approximation can also be used to approximate other properties of a quantum system, such as excited state energies and expectation values of observables. However, it may require more complex trial wave functions and calculations compared to the ground state energy approximation.