Vary voltage and frequency of Square Wave

In summary, an AtMega32 is toggling the output pin of a Timer1 to vary the frequency of a square wave. However, the voltage of the wave needs to be varied as well. A possible solution is to use a voltage controller to modify the amplitude of the wave after it is output from the micro controller port. Another solution is to use a variable gain amplifier to take AC couple and output the frequency in MHz.
Etude
Hi!

I am using an AtMega32 to output a square wave. I am varying the frequency by toggling the output pin using Timer1.
However, I also need to vary the voltage of the wave and frankly, have no idea how to. I tried looking up google but not much of it made sense to me thanks to my limited knowledge of electronics.
Can anyone please help ? I don't have to use the micro controller so even circuit ideas are open. Can I use some kind of voltage controller to modify the wave after the square wave of the set frequency has been output from the micro controller port?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look into a 4 quadrants multipliers. I used this one before:

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/MC1594-DataSheet.pdf

But this one is more for RF, it is just an example what you need to look for. I don't know your requirements, whether it needs to be precision, DC couple or anything. I use this a long time ago. Also the down side is when you have highest attenuation, the noise goes way up, so there is a limit of how low the gain can go.

There might be some newer ones you can use to fit your needs. Basically, it take your square wave input and change the amplitude according to a control voltage. With a 4 quad multi, you just feed from the source you have and control the amplitude with a control voltage.

Also look into variable gain amplifier something like this:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmp8358.pdf

I am not recommending these two device, just an example to give you a head start what direction to look for. Most likely they have better ones for your specific needs.

If you can take AC couple, and the frequency is in over 1MHz, then I had a design that use pin diodes that will do the trick.

Last edited:
Hey thnx a lot! will try understanding these :)

It sounds like a good place for CMOS. CMOS is analog designers dream, because it can switch right to a given voltage.

I'd suggest looking through the CD4051-CD4053 analog switches. They're cheap as dirt and twice as common. You can place your positive voltage on one input and negative on another and have a lovely square wave that's very well defined.

What is the purpose of varying voltage and frequency of a square wave?

Varying the voltage and frequency of a square wave is used in many applications to control the amplitude and timing of electronic signals. It allows for precise manipulation of electronic devices and can be used in areas such as signal processing, motor control, and power management.

What is the relationship between voltage and frequency in a square wave?

In a square wave, the voltage and frequency are directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the frequency also increases and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding how changing one parameter affects the other.

How does varying the voltage and frequency affect the shape of a square wave?

Varying the voltage and frequency can change the shape of a square wave from a perfect square to a more rectangular shape. This is because changing the voltage and frequency alters the time it takes for the signal to change from high to low and vice versa, resulting in a different waveform shape.

What are the advantages of using a variable voltage and frequency in a square wave?

One major advantage is the ability to control the strength and timing of electronic signals, allowing for precise manipulation of electronic devices. This can also improve the efficiency and performance of electronic systems, as well as reduce noise and interference.

Are there any limitations to varying voltage and frequency in a square wave?

While varying voltage and frequency can provide many benefits, it is important to note that there are limitations. For example, if the voltage or frequency is too high, it can cause damage to electronic devices. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and limitations of the devices being used before making any adjustments to voltage and frequency.