Varying an action wrt a symmetric and traceless tensor

In summary: In the E-L equations, the variation w.r.t the deriviative of the field comes with the opposing sign, so it doesn't matter which is chose.
binbagsss
Consider a Lagrangian, #L#, which is a function of, as well as other fields #\psi_i#, a traceless and symmetric tensor denoted by #f^{uv}#, so that #L=L(f^{uv})#, the associated action is #\int L(f^{uv}, \psi_i)d^4x #.

To vary w.r.t #f^{uv}# , I write:

#f^{uv}=f_{symm}^{uv}-\frac{1}{d}\eta^{uv} tr(f)#, (1)

where #tr(f)=\eta_{uv}f^{uv}#, where #\eta_{uv}# is the metric associated to the space-time, and #f_{symm}^{uv}= (1/2) (f^{uv}+f^{vu})#.In (1), why is it to subtract the trace, I suspect adding the trace term is just as valid? (and perhaps there is a convention as to which consistent with the signature of the metric)? In the E-L equations, ofc, the variation w.r.t the deriviative of the field comes with the opposing sign, so it doesn't matter which is chose? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
Consider a Lagrangian, #L#, which is a function of, as well as other fields #\psi_i#, a traceless and symmetric tensor denoted by #f^{uv}#, so that #L=L(f^{uv})#, the associated action is #\int L(f^{uv}, \psi_i)d^4x #.

where #tr(f)=\eta_{uv}f^{uv}#, where #\eta_{uv}# is the metric associated to the space-time, and #f_{symm}^{uv}= (1/2) (f^{uv}+f^{vu})#.In (1), why is it to subtract the trace, I suspect adding the trace term is just as valid? (and perhaps there is a convention as to which consistent with the signature of the metric)? In the E-L equations, ofc, the variation w.r.t the deriviative of the field comes with the opposing sign, so it doesn't matter which is chose?thanks
Use double-# for equations
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Adjusted:

Consider a Lagrangian, L which is a function of, as well as other fields ##\psi_i##, a traceless and symmetric tensor denoted by ##f^{uv}##, so that ##L=L(f^{uv})##, the associated action is ##\int L(f^{uv}, \psi_i)d^4x ##.

To vary w.r.t ##f^{uv}## , I write:

##f^{uv}=f_{symm}^{uv}-\frac{1}{d}\eta^{uv} tr(f)##, (1)

where ##tr(f)=\eta_{uv}f^{uv}##, where ##\eta_{uv}## is the metric associated to the space-time, and ##f_{symm}^{uv}= (1/2) (f^{uv}+f^{vu})##.In (1), why is it to subtract the trace, I suspect adding the trace term is just as valid? (and perhaps there is a convention as to which consistent with the signature of the metric)? In the E-L equations, ofc, the variation w.r.t the deriviative of the field comes with the opposing sign, so it doesn't matter which is chose?

--edit-- maybe I'm stupid, but why does the double # not work?

binbagsss said:

where #tr(f)=\eta_{uv}f^{uv}#, where #\eta_{uv}# is the metric associated to the space-time, and #f_{symm}^{uv}= (1/2) (f^{uv}+f^{vu})#.In (1), why is it to subtract the trace, I suspect adding the trace term is just as valid? (and perhaps there is a convention as to which consistent with the signature of the metric)? In the E-L equations, ofc, the variation w.r.t the deriviative of the field comes with the opposing sign, so it doesn't matter which is chose?thanks
I'm not sure what you do here, but you subtract the trace because the trace transforms to itself. Usually, one can break up a tensor into a symmetric traceless part, an antisymmetric part and the trace. But since you don't give any reference and your tex is hard to read, I'm merely guessing.

1. What is a symmetric and traceless tensor?

A symmetric and traceless tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between two vectors or quantities in a system. It is symmetric if it remains unchanged when its components are exchanged, and it is traceless if the sum of its diagonal components is equal to zero.

2. Why is it important to vary an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor?

Varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor allows us to find the equations of motion for a physical system. This is important because it helps us understand how the system will behave and how different variables are related to each other.

3. What is the role of symmetry in varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor?

The symmetry of the tensor allows us to simplify the equations of motion and make them easier to solve. This is because it reduces the number of independent variables that need to be considered.

4. How does varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor relate to conservation laws?

Varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor can help us derive conservation laws, such as conservation of energy or momentum. This is because the equations of motion obtained through this process often have terms that represent these conservation laws.

5. Are there any real-world applications of varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of varying an action with respect to a symmetric and traceless tensor. For example, it is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is also used in engineering and physics to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.