Help with variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action

QED.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equations of motion for a nonlinear sigma model action using the variation principle. The relevant identities and manipulations are provided, leading to the final result of the equation of motion for the gauge field.
user1139
Homework Statement
See below.
Relevant Equations
See below.
Consider the following action

$$S=\int\mathrm{d}^3x\sqrt{h}\left[R^{(3)}-\frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Tr}\left(\chi^{-1}\chi_{,i}\chi^{-1}\chi^{,i}\right)\right]$$

where ##h## is the determinant of the 3-dimensional metric tensor ##h_{ij}## and ##R## is the Ricci scalar.

I want to get the equations of motion

\begin{align*}
\left(\chi^{-1}\chi^{,i}\right)_{;i}&=0,\\
R_{ij}&=\frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Tr}\left(\chi^{-1}\chi_{,i}\chi^{-1}\chi_{,j}\right).
\end{align*}

However, how do I perform the variation on the trace?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas1 said:
Homework Statement:: See below.
Relevant Equations:: See below.

Consider the following action

$$S=\int\mathrm{d}^3x\sqrt{h}\left[R^{(3)}-\frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Tr}\left(\chi^{-1}\chi_{,i}\chi^{-1}\chi^{,i}\right)\right]$$

where ##h## is the determinant of the 3-dimensional metric tensor ##h_{ij}## and ##R## is the Ricci scalar.

I want to get the equations of motion

\begin{align*}
\left(\chi^{-1}\chi^{,i}\right)_{;i}&=0,\\
R_{ij}&=\frac{1}{4}\mathrm{Tr}\left(\chi^{-1}\chi_{,i}\chi^{-1}\chi_{,j}\right).
\end{align*}

However, how do I perform the variation on the trace?
If your concern is only about the variation of the trace, you better ignore the coupling to gravity. Also, the manipulations hold in any number of dimensions. The relevant identities are [itex]\delta \mbox{Tr}(\cdot) = \mbox{Tr}(\delta \cdot)[/itex], [itex]\delta \partial = \partial \delta[/itex], [itex]\mbox{Tr}(AB) = \mbox{Tr}(BA)[/itex], and the following important two [tex]\delta u^{-1} = - u^{-1} (\delta u) u^{-1}, \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex][tex]\partial u^{-1} = - u^{-1}(\partial u) u^{-1}. \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] To make your life easy, define the vector [tex]A^{\mu} = u^{-1} \partial^{\mu} u.[/tex] So, the NLSM action becomes [tex]S = - \frac{1}{4} \int d^{n}x \ \mbox{Tr}(A^{\mu}A_{\mu}).[/tex] Thus [tex]\delta S = - \frac{1}{2} \int d^{n}x \ \mbox{Tr}(A^{\mu} \ \delta A_{\mu}) .[/tex] Now, use (1) to obtain [tex]\delta A_{\mu} = u^{-1} \ \partial_{\mu}\delta u - u^{-1} \ \delta u \ A_{\mu} .[/tex] Substitute in [itex]\delta S[/itex], you get [tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int \ \mbox{Tr}\left( u^{-1}\delta u \ A_{\mu}A^{\mu} - A^{\mu} u^{-1} \ \partial_{\mu}\delta u \right).[/tex] Integrate the 2nd term by part and ignore the surface term to obtain [tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int \ \mbox{Tr}\left( u^{-1}\delta u \ A^{\mu}A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu}(A^{\mu}u^{-1}) \ \delta u \right).[/tex] Finally, expand the differentiation in the second term and use (2) to get [tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int \ \mbox{Tr} \left( u^{-1}\delta u \ A^{\mu}A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu}A^{\mu} \ u^{-1}\delta u - A^{\mu}A_{\mu} \ u^{-1}\delta u \right).[/tex] The first and the third terms add up to zero (because [itex]\mbox{Tr}(ab)= \mbox{Tr} (ba)[/itex]), and you end up with [tex]\delta S = \frac{1}{2} \int \ \mbox{Tr}\left( (\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu}) u^{-1} \ \delta u \right).[/tex] This gives you the equation of motion [tex]\partial_{\mu}A^{\mu} \equiv \partial_{\mu} \left(u^{-1} \ \partial^{\mu}u \right) = 0.[/tex]

Likes ergospherical

What is the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action?

The 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action is a mathematical description of the dynamics of a field theory in three dimensions. It is commonly used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of particles and fields.

What does variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action mean?

Variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action refers to the process of changing the parameters or variables in the action in order to study how the system behaves under different conditions.

Why is help needed with variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action?

Variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action can be a complex and challenging task, requiring advanced mathematical techniques and a deep understanding of the underlying physics. Therefore, help may be needed to accurately and efficiently perform these variations.

What are some common techniques used to help with variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action?

Some common techniques used to help with variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action include functional differentiation, variational calculus, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

What are the practical applications of studying variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action?

The study of variation of the 3-dimensional ##\sigma##-model action has practical applications in many areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, particle physics, and cosmology. It can help us better understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their behavior under different conditions.