Varying Direct Current and Alternating current

In summary, Varying Direct Current (DC) and Alternating Current (AC) differ in their sign and magnitude. AC has a repeating pattern and an average of zero, while DC has a constant sign and a non-zero average. On a Current-Time graph, AC would show a changing sign while DC would show a constant sign. Exceptions to these definitions may exist, but it is helpful to focus on the general definitions.
KingDaniel

Homework Statement

I've been struggling to fully understand the difference between Varying Direct Current and Alternating Current. Please explain this to me. Also, how would they differ on a Current-Time graph?

Homework Equations

E = int (VI dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Additional information:

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 837
Maybe you could think about the 'sign' of the current: which direction it is flowing
And then think about the magnitude of the current: the size the current - how many amps

With some graph paper you could plot a line where the magnitude is changing but not the sign. Is this AC or DC?

The distinctions are somewhat malleable but if the voltage does not change polarity it can be called DC. In some uses, it's sufficient that the voltage has an average value > 0 for it to be consdered DC, so it may indeed spend some time below zero, just so long as for most of the period it is above the x-axis. In cases where the average > 0 and the signal is varying it may be more convenient to regard it as AC having a DC component (or, alternatively, as DC with an AC component).

* I have restricted my discussion to positive DC, but the same applies to negative DC

In many ways they are linked. I think of it this way. for the most part, alternating current is a signal that repeats itself. If you can see a pattern arise in the signal, even if that pattern is simply white noise.DC is simply the average, if you need too, think of it as a rolling average. It is the level point of the signal for that span of time.

keep in mind, you can have AC signals coupled onto a DC signal.

So, @William White, according to you, for varying direct current, the current can't be negative basically, but can be in alternating current? And to answer your question, it would be DC I think.
@NascentOxygen , makes sense, but are you certain the current can go below zero (x-axis), i.e: a change in direction/polarity/sign?

@donpacino , I followed you up until you said "DC is simply the average"...I don't quite get what you mean from then on

KingDaniel said:
@donpacino , I followed you up until you said "DC is simply the average"...I don't quite get what you mean from then on

IF you have a DC current of 5 amps for 10 seconds, that means that your average is 5 amps right? because the current doesn't change.

now if the current following the following equation I=sin(2*t)+2 for 10 seconds, the DC component of that signal is 2, because that's the average!

There is a water analogy there! that's going to upset somebody!

I think, sometimes, the urge not to give a straight answer (because it is against the rules) ends up making a very simple question very difficult. Just saying.Best thing is to draw this to convince yourself. Go to
Desmos.com
a very good web site

and try typing in (on the left hand side)
y = sin x
y = 0.5
y = -0.5If the Y axis was measuring current (and its sign) and the x-axis is measure of time, what plots are AC and what are DC? What line is changing sign periodically?

@William White, thanks for introducing me to desmos, cool website. I know y=sinx would be AC, and the other 2 would be DC, but I'm trying to understand Varying DC

You now know that the definition of AC is when the sign changes periodically. This is the frequency (50Hz in the UK).

So, by defintion, DC does not change sign periodically: only the magnitude of the current can vary, not its sign.
Of course, there are real world anomolies when current can change sign. But to make it simple, AC is generated specifically to alternate it sign periodically. DC is generated specifically not to.

I hope I understand it clearer. AC (most of the time?) is a repeating pattern like sinx or cosx, and has an mean of zero, while Varying DC current would be random mostly, have an average of >0 or <0, and be either positive or negative? (and Varying DC might sometimes go slightly below zero if it's mostly positive, or slightly above zero if it's mostly negative?)

AC is always alternating. That is the defintion of AC. The sign changes periodically.

DC is always direct. That is the defintion of DC. The sign does not change.

Regarding the current flowing in either an AC or DC circuit. It is certainly NOT random, but depends upon the connected load. As the load demand increases, the amount of current increases.

Your house is powered by AC currents. If you switch on a lamp, AC current will flow through the lamp. If you switch on another lamp, the load has doubled, so you will draw double the current. The magnitude of the current is not random, it is due to the number of lamps and appliances (the load) that you have switched on. The more you switch on, the more current is flowing, the more energy you use, and the higher your electricity bill!

Now imagine that your house was powered by a battery that supplied DC current. Exactly the same thing would happen. As you switched on more lamps, more current would flow from the battery. Again it is not random. The current VARIES as the load increases or decreases.

Simply if the current is VARYING then the magnitude (size) of the current is changing
if the current is ALTERNATING the sign of the current is changing.
Do not get hung up on the exceptions to theses rules. They are just confusing you and not helpful at all.

Alright, thanks @William White. My bad, the graph for a Varying "DC" over a period of time looked random, without a pattern. It now makes sense why. I'll stick to your suggestion and leave out the exceptions.

1. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current flows in one direction, while alternating current constantly changes direction. DC is typically used for small electronic devices, while AC is used for powering larger appliances and electrical grids.

2. How are DC and AC currents produced?

DC is produced through a direct flow of electrons from a negative to a positive terminal. AC is produced by rotating a magnet inside a coil of wire, causing the direction of current to constantly change.

3. Which type of current is more efficient?

Neither type of current is inherently more efficient. The efficiency depends on the specific use and the equipment being used. For long-distance transmission, AC is more efficient, but for small electronic devices, DC is more efficient.

4. Can DC be converted to AC?

Yes, DC can be converted to AC using an electronic device called an inverter. This is commonly used in solar power systems to convert the DC energy from solar panels into AC energy for household use.

5. Which type of current is safer for humans?

Both DC and AC can be dangerous for humans if not handled properly. However, AC is often considered more dangerous because it can cause muscle contractions and interfere with the heart's natural rhythm.